Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Jiffy Stand Stability?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 05:15 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Jiffy Stand Stability?

im with skip, that sucker is pretty bullet proof.....just moves around a bit especially if you park the bike down hill a little!

Old 07-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm sure Pilot and all the others are right. You should just use the jiffy stand to hold the bike up but.........I've had 11 garbage barges and weigh around 240. I've slept on my bike with my feet on the fairing, I've sit on my bike with my wife on the back with the stand down, I've stood on the seat like one of the "Marion County Drill Team" guys and I've never so much as bent a jiffy stand. I've watched mechanics drag a dresser around in a circle while on the jiffy stand (old mechanic trick for moving bikes in tight spots". I think you'll be OK.

Terry

Old 07-25-2005, 06:14 PM
jrp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the jiffy stand does rock foward a considerable amount but it IS LOCKED an will not fail. As to the amount it will hold!!!! Remember when we would kick start the suckers???!!! Now that was real abuse on the jiffy stand.

I think you better worry about the stand sinking in the pavement or dirt before you have to worry about failure!

Old 07-25-2005, 06:50 PM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a simple test for your stand (freaked out the wife the first time I did it)... With the bike on the Jiffy stand (supporting the full weight of the bike) roll the bike forward a couple of inches, gouging the pavement. That should assure you of the integrity of it.

I once thumbed the starter on my bike in gear, on the stand, me standing next to it and boy I'll tell you, it made one heck of a scratch in the pavement but it didn't go over.

Old 07-25-2005, 07:16 PM
V2 Bagger
Tourer

ORIGINAL: terryt1955

I've watched mechanics drag a dresser around in a circle while on the jiffy stand (old mechanic trick for moving bikes in tight spots".
Terry
Where are they grabbing up the bike to do that?

Or are they leaving the forks locked and dumping the clutch? Sounds like fun! I'd try it on somone elses bike too, but not mine.

Old 07-25-2005, 07:21 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

V2 Bagger,

Come on be a sport, try it on your bike first. "No guts no glory, too much guts, no glory"

John TN

Old 07-25-2005, 07:39 PM
V2 Bagger
Tourer

Shure would put the hole in doughnuts!

Old 07-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Terry. I've slept on my EG while on the stand... I've also watched the techs at Mike's Famous HD move bikes around while on the stand by grabbing the handlebars and pushing... It sure scraped up the floor but that's how they moved 'em... I've also broken a jiffy stand kick starting my old '72 FX... had to stop next to a light pole or telephone pole for the next week till I could get a new one... now THOSE were the days! [&:]

Old 07-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

had to stop next to a light pole or telephone pole for the next week till I could get a new one
Man Phil - You sure have come a long way!!!

Old 07-26-2005, 12:06 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

OK Guys,

They were'nt riding the bike while it was on the jiffy stand. They were moving it by grabbing the rear struts or shocks and pulling the bike from the jiffy stand side and manuvering the bike on a concrete floor. Of course I bet a burn out on the jiffy stand would be interesting to watch.

I has a stock 59 pan that I use to put my left knee on the seat and my right foot on the kicker and kick till I almost had a heart attack and never broke that sucker. They use to get pretty loose after awhile though.

Terry

Quick Reply: Jiffy Stand Stability?