Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Metzler ME880

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 09:56 PM
teach
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Metzler ME880

I've almost always run Dunlops, but the local shop where I take my bike suggested I try the Metz 880 this last skin change. Well with a bit of reservation I agreed since it wasn't going to cost me anything more, BIG MISTAKE!
Tire feels a bit squirmy on the road crack fill, not a huge problem but can be a bit un-nerving if your not expecting it. Other than that no major complaints until yesterday when I was washing the bike. Looked at the rear tire and thought huh, wonder what that is on my sidewall? Well it is a friggin crack around the entire side wall where the tire is bonded. Thought well its probably just a casting ridge? WRONG, I can hook a fingernail in it and it does open up some. 2500 miles on this tire)
So on the phone to my bike shop and he says bring it right up, which I do. He says "man I have never seen a Metz do that before but let me get all the tire data and I'll call Metz" (strike 1).
This morning I'm still waiting on a call back, its now noon, I'll call the shop "calls in haven't heard back, but I'll call you as soon as I do" (strike 2). (he knows I'm heading out of town on a long ride this weekend)

So I stop up to the shop about 2pm still hasn't heard from Metz but says "lets look at my other tires on the rack" they are all the same way, "maybe its a bad lot of tires?" I'll call you as soon as they call me back."
(Swing & a miss).

Called back finally at 5:55pm just before the shop closes, hmmmm. "Well the guy at metz says they use this 3 stage bonding process, blah blah blah & bump your tire pressure up to 50psi and it should be fine. He says it "should" be just fine just a cosmetic thing." Hmmmmmm (strike 3) (if it SHOULD be fine he can trust his butt to it, not mine)

Well call me stupid but I'm running 42psi which is what Metz recommends and I have a sidewall crack at that psi, yes its cosmetic but its also un-nerving. Bumping the pressure to 50psi is gonna stress that sidewall even more which will open the sidewall crack more, or am I just stupid????

Anyhow, thats strike 3 for the tire AND strike 3 for this establishment. Now mind you I spent thousands of dollars in this place over the years, so where is the customer service? It should have been day one "let me get your bike right in and we'll get that tire swapped out for a new one and we'll deal with Metz on the warranty aspect, no need for you to be concerned." Or am I just being stupid? Isn't that the way customer service is suppopse to work? In particular for your loyal customers??

Anyhow tomorrow he'll be getting a piece of my mind and then I'm on my way to a different dealership to get a new Dunlop put on. I'll deal with Metzler myself afterwards.
Sorry about the rant, ha ha.......... But be warned that I looked at 5 new Metz tires on the tire rack & they all had this crack/bonding issue. I don't trust it at all.....

Old 07-22-2005, 10:32 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: Metzler ME880

I just knew, deep in my pea-pickin' li'l ol' heart, there was a reason I didnn't try the Metz this last go 'round. Sorry to hear of your problem, and can't believe the so-called solution. So it's an internet black eye for Metzeler, and would be one for your shop, except you didn't give us the name!

Old 07-22-2005, 10:39 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd take the tire off and wrap it around that guys neck. He should be a man about it if his business is worth more than $2 and replace it with what ever you want at no charge and right away. Very poor business. No cracks or imperfections is all I will allow on my tires. Remember whose butt is on the seat!

Old 07-23-2005, 02:49 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used Metzler ME 880's on my metric bike, never had a problem. I thought they were good handling, good wearing tires.

John TN

Old 07-23-2005, 01:41 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Do what my father in law did...take the tire to the business...with a picketing sign that says, "Don't buy Metzler from here". It was about 15 minutes before he got what he wanted.

Mac

Old 07-23-2005, 03:16 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Geez Mac, that's a great idea!

Old 07-23-2005, 03:58 PM
teach
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE: Did a little running around and checking today. First I went to 2 different bike shops one of which I've known the owner since we were teens. Both said the same thing, the tire is old stock and its the beginnings of dry rott at the blending point, tire is definitely compromised. Both said the concern was more that the tire would need replaced prematurely.
My third stop was the local tire recap dealership. They confirmed what the two bike shops had said and recommended having the tire replaced asap. They said blowout wasn't a big concern but the tire could throw tread or get whats called an internal flat (air between the inner and outer skin. In any case not a safe situation.
Final stop was my usual shop that put the tire on. Confronted with the info he's gonna replace the tire the first of the week (it will be a Dunlop). He's a bit pissed that the Metz guy told him it wasn't a problem (I have my doubts that was said), and I expressed my disappointment of how this had been handled. We'll see how it goes this week.
Anyhow, for anyone that is going to have the Metz mounted to their bike I suggest that you have a close look at the sidewall before they put said tires on your ride. Just a nice info heads up if you will. Rid safe.. T

Old 07-23-2005, 11:22 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is one scary story. Pumping up the pressure on an already compromised tire seems not only like bad advice, but downright dangerous. It was inexcusable for the selling dealership to give you the BS run around that you received. Any respectible dealer would have replaced the tire, regardless of mileage. Glad it came to a reasonable concluson. What is more unnerving is that a shop would keep tires long enough for them to come apart or that they did not know about the old tires in their inventory.

I know there is a date code stamped into the sidewall of every tire. Anyone know how to read and decipher the code?

Old 07-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Un-freaking-real - The really scary part is that not everyone acts so smart - I am finding out real fast to check here before doing anything - Even if people don't agree on everything no one would think about putting anyone in harms way - A lot of us would have just accepted the answer, pumped up the tire and rode on - These Sh&theels are all so worried about a few extra bucks and taking the easy way out - If I acted like that at work big money could be lost - In this case we are talking about a possible life or lives

Old 07-24-2005, 05:21 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

that sucks, hope you get satisfaction from that shop......

Quick Reply: Metzler ME880