Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Great Customer Service at Progressive..Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:55 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Great Customer Service at Progressive..Thanks!

I want to thank Tech Support at Progressive , I talked to a couple of guys before making my decision but especially thanks to Frank, I talked to him 2 times and he was very patient and helpful.

In short I bought a set of 940 for my bike . They were 100% better than the stock shocks right from the start. But Im about 200 lbs and ride solo 95% or more and I was not getting the recommended amount of sag, I could only get about 1-1 1/18" . When riding the bike it definitively felt better in the overall ride, more planted in the corners and smoother over the bumps but felt stiff too me and it also felt like I was not getting as much travel as I should.

I called Progressive and talked to Frank the first time and he was very helpful and explained that I was right in the low end of weight that the shocks were set up for and if after putting some breakin miles on them if I felt they were still too stiff to call back and a lighter spring could be installed for me.

The stock springs that the 940 come with are 115-150lbs the same spring rate as the 440HD (Progressive recommends the HD be used if you are close to the max load limits 50% or more of your riding, Im not at that load ever)

Well I put some miles on them and they stayed about the same so I call again and arranged for a RMA # and to send the shocks in to have the lighter springs installed. I live in the So Ca area and decided to save the time and shipping by dropping them off at progressive. They were very friendly and told me that I could wait and they would swap them for me on the spot, took less than 20 minutes and I had the shocks back in hand and was on my way.

When they swap out the lighter springs they eliminate the "compensator" spring, but the shock is still installed the same way and they still recommend the same sag adjustment. I dont know how it works out, but the 940 is a 13" shock and even with the new lighter springs when installed the bike dropped to stock height and 12" shocks. Whit me on it I can now get almost 1 7/8 total sag, but I decided to put a little preload on them and with 1 turn on the preload adjuster I am at about 1.5" of total sag (1" bike only and with rider another 1/2").

The ride is very good now IMO, solid and planted in the corners (I have a lot of high speed canyons in my area) going through some 60-70 mph sweepers that have slight dips in them, before with the stock shocks it would bounce me up from the seat and I would feel a little "wobble" now smooth I stayed in the seat, the bike felt planted through the corner and no wobble. Over the small cracks and pot holes very smooth , I think this is do to having "sag" in the set up now. With the stock HD Airshocks I could never set any amount of "sag" even with 0 psi the shocks were topped out at my weight.

Anyway, Im sure that there may be more high end suspension set ups available in some peoples opinions (Ohlins, Penske, Works), but Ive used Progressive 440 on my Sportster, 422 on my Fat boy, 440 on my RK, and now 940 on my RG and Ive been happy with the improvement over the stock set up every time, the price, and with the quality of the Tech Support and the lifetime warranty on the 940 Im sure ill be happy as long as I own this bike too.