Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Springers: What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:51 PM
tmd11111
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Springers: What do you think?

I owned an 01 FXSTS for 4 years and put almost 30,000 miles on it without a single problem with the front end or the rest of the bike for that matter. The only negatives I can say about the springer front end is if you grab too much front brake it will bottom out and not rebound until you let off. You do need to retorque the rockers every 10k but thats no worse then having to change fork oil. Sold it 2 years ago to get a road glide, the worst case of sellers remorse I ever had. The RG is the ticket for traveling but for around town and bar hopping the springer was it.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:12 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

If I too was adding a second bike it would more than likely be a Springer Classic with Samson fishtails and whitewall tires. I also like the looks of the FX Springer with drag bars and I'm not partial to the ape's that a lot of people put on these bikes. The Bad Boy that HD produced in the 90's was a sweet bike.

The 07 SE Springer is a great looking bike...now if I can find $25k...the local dealer has one with my name on it.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:55 PM
denisvan
Stage I

I have a 2004 fxsts.I wouldn't trade it for anything that H-D has to offer.I belong to the largest H.O.G. chapter in the states and in 2003 I won the people's choice award at our chapter yearly picnic bike show.I don't ride like a maniac,those day's are behind me.I like to take my time and enjoy the ride.The springer handles everytjimg that I want to do just fine.I think if you need state of the art,multi piston caliper braking you need a different type of bike not a different type of front end.I ride safe,ride easy,keep my distance,and keep my eyes open.I don't allow myself to get into hard breaking situations in the first place.You should not rely too heavily on your front brake any way!Bottom line,a springer looks great,handles fine,and stops adequately if you are a safe,concientious rider the springer type front end will do fine.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:44 AM
Bikerdoc
Novice

George,
I have give you your due - to each his own. Neither one of us is either all right or all wrong. That is why there is both vanilla and chocolate. I love my Springers just like I love my Corvettes. I have had more than a couple of both. I had a 2000 FXSTS and it was the best handling bike I ever had. I could navigate all the twistys in western NC, eastern TN, northeastern GA and the upstate of SC with no problem - the best riding country in the world. The upper SC state watershed, Deals Gap and the Cherohala were no problem. I wish I had never gotten rid of that bike. I now have a 2005 FLSTS-C for 2 ears now and a 2007 FXSTS-SE for 3 weeks - that I am getting used to now if I can stay thawed out. The 05 FLSTSC is a great bike and is probably the most comfortable bike to ride that I have ever had. I have also had Dynas and a Road King Classic. My wife liked riding on the back of my 2000 FXSTS more than any bike I have had - to include a 2002 Road King Classic. She even like riding on the back of it as much as she likes riding her Deuce.
My new Screaming Eagle Springer now only has 350 miles on it after a couple of weeks, but it promises to be a winner.
I'll have to admit, I am a sucker for things that are classics or appear to be classics. I also love my C3 Corvette. I have had others and got rid of a C5 50th Anniversary model. I guess that proves I like things that are a little unusual and not quite the most popular or the most logical, convenient or popular.
I am glad we have guys like you who don't like Springers - it keeps the road from being crowded with them - and makes me stand out from the crowd.
I'll stick with my old school look and really interesting ride.
Lets get together and ride a few miles.
It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.
Mike

Old 12-10-2006, 11:28 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed.
Imagine what a bike rally would look like if we all had the same tastes?
Probably like a Gold Wing Convention.