Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

i want to try a 16 inch wheel on my dyna, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:57 PM
hacksawsgarage
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i want to try a 16 inch wheel on my dyna, any suggestions?

i also like the idea of dual discs, but i woulod also consider a fatboy front end set up. my bike is a 2008 fxdc

Old 08-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior

If you simply place a 16" wheel on your cycle your front end & trail will lessen about 1 1/2", by wheel diameter alone, assuming from your pix that is a 19" anterior wheel gracing you now.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:37 AM
hacksawsgarage
Cruiser

well i think that would depend on a couple of things. the actual size of the 16 inch tyre and the fact my fork tubes are already lowered 3/4 of an inch in the trees as it is.

i dont think trail is reduced exactly the same as the height of the front axle. i imagine there is some triangular relationship, but you are right in that it would result in less trail. how that would effect my ride, i do not know.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:44 AM
HolePuncher
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 16" wheel and stock '05 Fat Boy Dunlop tire is 25.25" from tread to tread. Tire profile plays a role. Sometimes those bigger wheels use a lower profile tire. I prefer the road feel of the taller and wider front tire on the 16" rim. It just feels more connected.

Last edited by HolePuncher; 08-17-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hacksawsgarage
well i think that would depend on a couple of things. the actual size of the 16 inch tyre and the fact my fork tubes are already lowered 3/4 of an inch in the trees as it is.

i dont think trail is reduced exactly the same as the height of the front axle. i imagine there is some triangular relationship, but you are right in that it would result in less trail. how that would effect my ride, i do not know.
You sound/seem smart enough to understand that you will get used to whatever you are riding & that you will take into consideration what your ride is, meaning if a 25mph curve lays ahead you know what you can do w/ it by regard of your cycles capacity.
RIGHT ON!
Aftermath, measure twice...right, right, right.

Last edited by Chunk; 08-17-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: mathematics
Old 08-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HolePuncher
The 16" wheel and stock '05 Fat Boy Dunlop tire is 25.25" from tread to tread. Tire profile plays a role. Sometimes those bigger wheels use a lower profile tire. I prefer the road feel of the taller and wider front tire on the 16" rim. It just feels more connected.
Yep, & the diameter of a lightly used (3000 mi) Dunlop F24, 100/90-19 from center to center, inflated, is 26 1/8". The Shinko (w/ nipples) 10 SR712F, 110/90-19 is
26 1/2"(non-inflated). A Dunlop D404 (3000mi), 130/90-16 is 25 & just under 1/16th".
Funny how all of that matters because a 38 degree neck angle becomes 35 degrees at a length of 35" = (roughly) 30/16"--your frames neck angle is built by the connecting frame tubes but is determined by an intersecting plane.
The rest of the frame's tubes determine how weight is distributed (so to say).
Good lookin' out.

Last edited by Chunk; 08-17-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:58 PM
hacksawsgarage
Cruiser

the dunlop 404 sounds like the better tyre for my likes.

as far as getting used to what one rides. i have had my dyna since new, may of 2008.
i just never really got used to it. the front end just feels tall and top heavy. my ankle rebels against the weight when stopped. it always feels like it wants to flop on me, and it actually has once. very uncool.
i never felt that way on any softail or shovelhead 4speed frame w/boards.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:30 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Change is good

Depending on what tire you get, you will need to lengthen the forks by 3/4" going to a 19" pizza cutter to some 16" tires. Remember that the radius of the tire determines how long the forks must be. Go with a 49mm fork and wide glide type trees such as a FatBob as all of the parts are already available. A 1 5/8" fork is not the best choice, heavy & too much deflection. I hate the handling and stability of my 19" and I am going to put on a wide glide set of C/F wheels and 16" tires.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Chunk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hacksawsgarage
the dunlop 404 sounds like the better tyre for my likes.

as far as getting used to what one rides. i have had my dyna since new, may of 2008.
i just never really got used to it. the front end just feels tall and top heavy. my ankle rebels against the weight when stopped. it always feels like it wants to flop on me, and it actually has once. very uncool.
i never felt that way on any softail or shovelhead 4speed frame w/boards.
Those old injuries got a tendency to stick around, huh?
The Dyna has a pretty tall stance doesn't it, compared to the Shovel's & Soft tail's?
I usually set my seat height somewhere in the 24" area just above the knee, & then carry my motor a little higher than most in my style at 7" or so.. But I use a 4 banger motor & use no oil can gives me a little leverage sitting lower, because I never liked the taller ride height having to extend my legs so much was uncomfortable, wobbly, sort of feeling.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:25 AM
hacksawsgarage
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Depending on what tire you get, you will need to lengthen the forks by 3/4" going to a 19" pizza cutter to some 16" tires. Remember that the radius of the tire determines how long the forks must be. Go with a 49mm fork and wide glide type trees such as a FatBob as all of the parts are already available. A 1 5/8" fork is not the best choice, heavy & too much deflection. I hate the handling and stability of my 19" and I am going to put on a wide glide set of C/F wheels and 16" tires.

your bike has some diff than mine.
i will look at the fatbob front ends to see what can be swapped with my bike. what is 1-5/8" in metric? what is C/F wheels?
i sure will like to see how you make these changes. thanks.

Quick Reply: i want to try a 16 inch wheel on my dyna, any suggestions?