Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Lower fork sliders FXSTD

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 10:09 PM
1deuce3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lower fork sliders FXSTD

Anyone have any experience removing lower fork sliders on a Deuce, if so I could use some help.
I am changing out my lower fork sliders, getting a little niked up over the years.
Everything is off. The lower slider (front caliper side) is drained and loose, but it is caught on something on the top after it slides down most of the way.
Any idea what is holding it up, and if so, can you give me a little direction how to free it up.
Have not touched the other side yet, I imagine it will be the same procedure.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you

Old 11-11-2006, 10:50 PM
1deuce3
Cruiser
Default RE: Lower fork sliders FXSTD

Got it off by removing the oil seal retaining clip, only to find out I need a specialty tool to install the fork seal "MOTHER FUC%ER". Saturday night 8:45 PM, I am FUC%ED

So any suggestions on what I can use to install the seal to set it so I can reinstall the retaining clip.
Looks like it has to slide down the upper part of the lower slider about a 1/4"-3/8".

Thanks

Old 11-12-2006, 10:04 PM
barhopperbynight
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checking to see if your going to sell your old sliders!

Old 11-13-2006, 12:16 AM
1deuce3
Cruiser

not sure yet what I am going to do with them.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Tin Gizel
Road Warrior

I'm stuck in the middle of doing the chrome front end package on my FatBoy. How the heck did you get the 6mm allen head bolt out of the bottom of the lower fork sliders to release the dampener tube? My service manual recommends using an air impact wrench, but i kinda think that'll destroy any allen key/socket i use.

My next question is, how the heck are you going to get the springs compressed to reinstall the top caps?

I'm begining to feel like i've bitten off more than i can chew....

Old 11-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Tin Gizel
Road Warrior

I'm assuming that for the most part our forks are the same in terms of disassembly....

Old 11-13-2006, 08:23 PM
1deuce3
Cruiser

Tin,

I was doing my Deuce, which we both know is a different front end. And just replacing the lower sliders.

It was very tight but I got it off with a 6mm T-Grip allen wrench. If that doesn't work get a 6mm allen wrench and cut it down, then put one end onto the bolt and the other end into a 6mm socket and attach it to a wratchet that should get it out for you. Be careful not to strip the bolt, make sure you have a good grip on it before you try to loosen it.

All I was doing was replacing the Lower Fork Sliders like I said before, so I didn't have to compress the springs to get them off. Just had to remove the bushings and the seal spacers that sit under the slider oil seal, which I also replaced, and set the oil seal retaining ring that holds it all together. Bolt it down with that 6mm allen wrench and tighten it down real good, preferably with an air impact wrench like the manual says. If you don't have one tighten real good and take it to someone who has one.

One other thing if you replace your slider oil seal, the HD Service Manual says you need a Fork Seal Installer Tool. Good luck, you have to get it from a company called KENT MOORE, and they only sell them to dealers. There about $80.00. Go to Home Depot and buy a piece of 2" PVC Pipe Cut it down to 3-4 ", then cut it in half and place it on top of the seal and tap it down below the lip inside the top of the lower slider where the oil seal retaining ring sits.

As far as compressing your springs I'm sorry I can't help you with that one.

Good Luck, hope the information I gave you, can come to some good use for you.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:49 PM
1deuce3
Cruiser

If you have a HD Softail Service Manual it can walk you thru it.

According to the manual the Fatboy and Heritage are the same

You might have seen this link already, in another thread, just in case you didn't

This link shows a Road King front end Removal & Disassembly maybe it will give you some ideas

http://groups.msn.com/ToddsHarleyPix...eforkswap.msnw

Old 11-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Tin Gizel
Road Warrior

Thanks for the tips.

I got one of the bolts out with an impact gun, the other was stripped so I had to drill it out. I screwed myself by taking the cap off and letting the springs loose. It was a step that never had to be done. I was reading the service manual on disassembling the forks and didn't think to read ahead to do only what I had to do to replace the lower sliders. Should be interesting getting the springs back in place.

I work for an electrical contractor, so I went out back and cut myself a piece of 2" Sch40 this morning. If I can get those springs back in, then the rest should be smooth sailing and I might ever get her back together tonight after work.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:15 PM
1deuce3
Cruiser

Glad to see you are back on track. Good luck with the assembly. How about lowering the bike onto the ground to compress the springs, then tighten the lower legs. It might mean a little more work, front wheel install, uninstall, then reinstall so you can tighten the legs to spec.

Quick Reply: Lower fork sliders FXSTD