Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Hard tail frame conversion or stock hardtail frame?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 11:14 AM
33GM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard tail frame conversion or stock hardtail frame?

I have a 79 FXS with high bars, wide glide, 5 gallon tanks etc. it looks great. (but) Many years ago I had a 1952 FLH panhead that I loved..it had an original hardtail frame, wide glide, 5 gallon tank, extended forks, fender seat, fixed fish tail pipes etc. It was a very basic bike and I really miss the looks. (yes the ride was tough)

Any suggestions to get the same look? I'd like my 79 to look like a 50's hardtail and would like to use my bike as the donor. Would I be better off selling my titled frame and look for a old OEM frame? What parts would I need to convert my 79 etc Which factory frame (year) should I look for etc. I don't normally drive the bike much...so the old hardtail would be more of a nostalgic ride or in car terms a RatRod.

Old 12-16-2004, 07:39 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: Hard tail frame conversion or stock hardtail frame?

I'd forget the original hardtail frame. They are getting really scarce, and most are already cut up for someone else's idea of a chop. Getting a new custom hardtail would probably be the easiest way to go, but first check into insuring a "custom" (or whatever your state calls 'em), since you'll end up with a new VIN from your state. Paughco makes good frames if you do go that route. Another option is to get a weld-on hardtail. You get the look you want, and keep the original HD VIN, so titling, insurance, etc. ain't any hassle. And still one more option is to get an aftermarket frame, cut the neck and front legs off, then weld on the same from your current frame. Again, you get to keep the original VIN.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:03 PM
33GM
1st Gear

The frames are out there...I just need to know which one will fit!

Check this one out...no numbers..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35562

Old 12-17-2004, 12:01 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Looks like an OK frame. IIRC, you can fit a Shovel in a Pan frame with a minimum amount of trouble. No numbers means nothing on an older frame, as HD didn't have frame numbers 'til way later. Only thing to watch for would be whatever hassle you gotta go through with your state's DMV/BMV. Check with them to see what they'll want as far as paperwork.

There's a book called "What Fits What" that pretty much covers all the older HD parts and their interchangeability. I've seen it on several of the online parts joints.

Old 12-19-2004, 09:35 PM
twinsdaddyo
4th Gear

I did a 62 FLH pan shovel this way. The original frame isn't worth messing with. I bought a Paugho (spelling)? hardtail, it was about 4 over on the front. I built it up with the original parts pretty much, needed longer fork tubes (Franks) and had to fabricate some stuff-exhaust hangers, seat mount, rear fender brackets. No gauges or such, pretty basic ride. The frame came with an MSO (manufacturers statement of origin). This, along with the original title got me through the licensing process in Colorado with no hassles. No insurance problems either. It was a fun project and a good ride. Go for it