Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

front axle sleeve?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:51 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default front axle sleeve?

hello all,

got a question about the front axle sleeve in my 91 FXSTS

...when i disassembled the hub, the axle sleeve seemed to just "float" around inside the hub... .in other words, it was narrower than the width of the hub, bearing to bearing....is this normal?

i thought that the axle sleeve should span the width of the hub inside between the bearings, no?

paul

Old 07-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I believe you are right that spacer/ sleeve is meant to keep the bearings from crushing in on each other when the axles are tensioned. I have several metric wheels & a couple older H-D all of their spacers span the distance w/out any play, I just checked. One of the older H-D's has some play but the bearing is also sliding around freely. I am going to assume that I will need to replace those bearings before I use it.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:22 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

figured it out....

the bearings have some travel to them between the race and the seal.... when both bearings are pressed against their corresponding races through the lateral forces of the right-side spacers and left=side speedo gear that acts as a spacer, the sleeve is spot-on between the bearings

used to working with sealed bearings, is all... lol

Old 07-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The sleeve or spacer should be "spot on" and just touching the "inner to inner race". When the wheel and bearings are set up.
Not putting pressure on the bearings but touching. This allows the wheel to spin freely with no slack and no binding when all tightened up.

If the spacer is at all loose, when things are tightned up it puts the bearings in a bind and early failure come up.

For one thing the seals get very hot and melt out the grease.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:45 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

that's what it appears to be, Gunny ...the sleeve is just touching the inside of the bearings, not the inner races.... after all, the inner part of the races are larger in diameter than the sleeve...would have to be in order to get the sleeve in there

so yes, it makes sense considering that when everything is snug the bearings won't be able to bind against the races, but instead, properly roll along them with the sleeve keeping everything in tow