Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Slight wobble questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:39 AM
RickV
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight wobble questions

This is a long winded post, but wanted to give as much info as possible....

Let me start by saying I rode dirt bikes as a kid and have not riden in 20 years, bought my first big bike in April 2011 (2007 Softail Heritage Classic - 18000 miles). I have put 1200 miles on since April and am starting to feel comfortable on it and absolutly love riding it. Unfortunately, my lack of riding experience leaves me wondering what is normal and what I need to be concerned about. I have a manual and some mechanical abilities and enjoy doing some work on my own, but I also paid for extended warranty and would prefer to allow the pros to do advanced work and work involving special tools.

I feel a slight wobble that happens at various speeds. At slow speeds there are times when it rides great and others when it seems almost impossible to keep it straight (when rolling to a stop is when I notice it most but it is intermittent). At all speeds I can feel periodic slight side to side waggle that does not seem normal. If I take my hands off the bars it will immediately vear left 100% of the time. When making a right hand turn around curves I can hear a squeak that sounds like it is coming from the front wheel. When riding at any speed it sometimes feels like a pulsing drag like I am hitting gusts of head on wind. The front wheel is down to about 3/16 tread. The wear looks normal- no obvious cupping, but I am not sure I would recognize slight cupping.

I have read a lot of threads on wobble, but none seem to fit my symptoms exctly. Here is what I have done so far..

-Put it on jack and checked for play in front wheel.. can't feel any.
-spun wheel -could not detect out of round/side to side movement
-spun wheel - does not seem like excessive drag from brakes or grinding/noise from bearings, but my experience on this is limited.
-Did fall away test and it seemed a little loose - tightened it up a bit following manual and forum post instructions - no change to issues.
-Took it to dealer and asked them to check it out - paid $50 warranty co-pay and they said everything is fine and they regreased the steering tree. They said spokes are fine, wheel is fine, tire is fine but should be replaced soon and they feel it rides fine.

My problem is I don't have enough experience to say if this is normal or if there is a problem. My feeling is the squeak and wobble seem like a wheel bearing going out and there are a number of forum posts that seem to make this a legitimate concern. I am nervous about the bearing going out completely while cruising a curving mountain road. It seemed like the dealer was more interested in getting me out of their shop than really looking for an issue. I am thinking of replacing the front tire since it is toward end of life so that would be a good time to have bearings checked/replaced.

What do you guys/gals think? Am I just overthinking this and feeling something that isn't really there? Since the dealer doesn't see a problem, do I take it in and tell them to replace the bearings for piece of mind and pay it myself rather than getting the warranty to pay? Is it something else completely?

Again, I am sorry for long-winded post. I admit I have limited knowledge/experience and would greatly appreciate any advice I can get from the more experienced riders on this forum.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:11 AM
sicpup
Advanced

wish i could be more help.. but i would take it to the dealer and demand they fix the *****!

front disc warped? air in lines?

Old 07-12-2011, 12:42 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When I bought my used '98 (with tapered roller bearings in the wheels) I had some wobbles and squeaking from the front when turning one way (can't remember which way). What it turned out to be on my bike was there were no bearing spacers in between the bearings! Once the wheels were fitted with the missing spacers, all was good.

But you said the dealer checked that? Or they rode it and said it was normal? For $50 I doubt they did a whole lot.

I'd find a friend with a similar model and have him ride it. Better yet, ride his.

And definitely check / replace the bearing when the wheel is off for the new tire like you mentioned.

FWIW...a lot of bikes will trend one way or another when letting go of the bars...but I wouldn't say veer...unless it's a custom that wasn't set up very well.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Rise
Novice

Originally Posted by sicpup
wish i could be more help.. but i would take it to the dealer and demand they fix the *****!
I agree with sicpup. And don't let them charge you again. Some dealers just try to get people in and out as fast as they can.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:10 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Put a new pair of tyres on it and try again. It is going to be frustrating chasing any possible problems unless you make everything you can as good as it can be. You've done the right things so far, but I highly recommend that. I would go further and suggest a set of any other brand than stock! Try Avons or Metzeler, which seem to get plenty of good reports on HDF. Whatever you fit, check the brand website for tyre pressures for your bike (Avons are usually higher than Dunlops). If you are heavy, or very light, adjust pressures to suit, up or down a couple of psi.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:53 PM
KYfishtail
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 02 Heritage, which I just bought a few weeks ago, has a slight wobble a various speeds. I might follow up on the missing bearing spacer theory. I blew a rear tire riding it home from the dealer, which makes me a bit paranoid about wobbles these days.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

check for loose rear spokes.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:17 PM
freeboy
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask this question in the softail section and you will get alot more advice.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:19 PM
freeboy
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

By the way, I live in KY too. We should meet up sometime for a ride.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Ryder10
Intermediate
Default Wobble

The pulling issue is it gone after the adjustment of the neck? You def need a new front tire most issues are fixed with new rubber. Do you have any accessories installed on the front end ex. Radio, gps etc. Wires could cause to pull. Any bearing issues will be felt at any speed and more prevalent at higher speeds. If it only happens when applying the brake check rotors for warpage also check pad wear is one side farther gone than the other could have a brake caliper piston issue? Would cause all the issues you listed

Quick Reply: Slight wobble questions