Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Forks leak oil, still holds air

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:38 AM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation Forks leak oil, still holds air

I have a 2000 FLTRI with a stock front suspension. I recently changed the legs to powder coated ones. My problem is the right leg is leaking oil. I've replaced the seal twice. I also replaced the o-rings on the fork cap bolt and banjo fitting. The first time I installed them they had a steady leak after a day. The second time I also did the o-rings. Now it seems the oil spurts out(a lesser amount). I filled them with 15 psi rechecked my air pressure 3 days later and still had 15 psi. I noticed I had alot of oil in the air line. Before I go through with this again, I would like any ideas what could be causing this issue.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't messed w/ your model but have had a cycle w/ air pressure front suspension.
If you are using a high pressure air hose--that is likely the culprit. Using a foot operated bicycle tire pump is good enough here. Also go above required PSI just slightly, a couple pounds is cool & deflate to required tension from there. You should be able to here oil sloshing around even when inflated, If you can't you've got everything, inside, to tight...dig?
I also suggest that if you have someone else around, if you don't just do it yourself, bounce around on the forks while filling. Add, bounce, add, bounce...dig? Since its hot outside the air is larger, understand, so I would keep an eye on how much pressure is held & adjust accordingly.
If front suspension keeps bottoming out add a few pounds & vice versus...

Old 07-09-2011, 02:12 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior

I'm using a suspension pump. I thought that putting to much PSI was why they leaked the first time. The second time I started with 10 psi went for a short ride and then brought it up to 15psi. Went for a 50 mile ride and checked the forks the next day, leak was back. This time it looked like the oil sprayed out e.g. drops on fender. Checked the psi before letting air out, still 15 psi. I haven't disassembled the front end yet. Between the cowbells, fairing, and the nacelle. It's hard to see were exactly the leak is originating. I checked the fork cap screws and upper tubes and didn't find any oil. The last time I replaced the seal . I seen that it was leaking. By the way the internals were in my o.e. legs.

Last edited by DanDman; 07-09-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is meant o.e. legs? Say OE to me I think OEM, original , equipment by manufacturer, you mean, same? Now dumb *** questions time-- is cycle staight up & down, is load pressure off of bike when loading & testing, when did you notice problem? You know dumb. A friend of mine asks if you are trying to put same amount of fluid in each fork, the reason he asks is many cycles were built w/ a cartridge in them and if you have that the amount of fluid, in your case, in the left fork, is different than the right & we are wondering whether or not that is problem. We both suggest, If...get TFM. Now no worries.
Harley Davidson touring model: 10.0 ounces left leg (w/ cartridge), 11.1 ounces right leg.
but we got that from harley-davidson-sweden.se/HD2004Touring/sm02a.pdf
It is my understanding that the cartridge in the forks of your model/& similar is not popular.
That is the best I can do.
My friend suggested the cartridge is the problem, agreeably it is a pain in the **** for someone that simply wants to change some oil.
We are about to have a couple now, we hope you well...try running it low & then pumping it up until it squirts...Frucker me! I don't know beyond this.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:54 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior

Got a Harley manual and a Chilton manual, followed instructions to the t. I have the non cartridge forks. Filled both with 9.8 oz, of type E fork oil. I don't get it that's wy i'm posting on the forum.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 AM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Default fixed

Didn't post this earlier. The leak was caused by a nicked fork tube. Got another one no leak