Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Lowering Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 04:22 PM
2CMan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Questions

I currently have Progressive 412, 12in shocks on my 05 RK. I like the improved low speed handling and flat footed stance when stopped, however, am definately NOT happy with the stiff and hard ride. Am only 150# and ride mostly solo. Progressive c/s rep says because I'm a lightweight, changing to their 440 IAS would not improve ride quality. So....I'm now considering changing to the HD Profile low touring shock but have read here on Forum that people complain about ride quality with this shock. What the he#*%! If I go with the Profile Low shocks should I also lower the front end with one of the HD kits ?...and which one, the Touring Front Lowering kit ($99) or the Profile Low Front End Lowering Kit ($195) ? BTW does anybody know what the diff is between these two kits ???

From the State of Confusion...thanks for opinions and advice.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:33 PM
IslandStorm62
Intermediate
Default RE: Lowering Questions

Sounds like you know way more about the subject. I lowered my XL1200C with Progressives (I think 11") as well. But I supposed I'm not experienced enough to know a stiff ride from anythin else. What is the size of the HD Factory Shocks?

Old 10-20-2006, 03:52 PM
2CMan
Intermediate

the shocks from the factory on the FLHR are 13". The consensus is that you shouldn't lower more than 1.5" without asking for problems. But the jist I get from others about lowering the rear is that unless you also lower the front, the balance of the bike changes. By lowering the front end also, you get that balance back, along with the original factory-like softer ride. This is about as clear as mud. Thanks....

Old 10-29-2006, 11:19 AM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two kits differ in that the less expensive one is for Road Kings, the more expensive fit RK's and and other FL models (Classics, Road Glides, etc.). Note the number of parts in each kit. The RK only kit does not have the springs for both sides of the fork as the stock bike does not. The stock RK forks are different from other FL models.The more expensive kit will give you fork internals like the Classic models. Both will lower the front end. Some say the more expensive kit will give you a better ride.
I'm not sure, but I believe the Street Glide is lowered only in the rear. I have always heard that you should lower both ends but do not see why it would be necessary.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Mr. Mobey
Advanced

I lowered my 00 RK using the HD Low Profile shocks and have not noticed any difference in the ride. I was also wondering about lowering the front end but don't know if it is worth the trouble and expense. Have read all the pros and cons but I only wanted the "look" of being lower than factory. I only run about 10-15lbs of air in the rear and less in the front and usually ride solo.
No problems so far.

[sm=patriot.gif]