Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Stearing head Bearing Adjust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Dancemax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stearing head Bearing Adjust?

I have a 2003 Heritage Classic Softail. The owner's manual calls for lubricating stearing head bearing every 5k miles. I have done that. However this business of adjusting the "stearing head bearing" every 10k miles is confusing. I will be doing a 10k soon. I find this area confusing. The loosening of pinch bolt, fender mask tape and pointer business and fallaway after the bike is up on jack and all that jazz. Is this beyond the competence of a novice. Disassemble will be due at 20k; that's another issue that I will deal with next year or so. I have following questions.

1. What if I need adjustment and I dont do it, how will a maladjustment affect my motor cycle handling, in other words symptoms of mild to moderate to sever maladjustment or not doing the adjustment.
2. Do shops really do all that routinely at scheduled intervals?
2. Please explain in plain simple terms what it is and how to accomplish it.

I do have an Service manual on my bike but sometimes forum answers are so much more practical, easier and helpful.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:17 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stearing head Bearing Adjust?

I'm in the same situation with my Wide Glide: the manual says "lube and adjust" for the steering head bearings at the 10,000 mile point, but I've never done this on a Harley, only dirt bikes, and years ago. To me it says remove the entire front end and the triple tree to grease the bearings and adjust them. Not something I am equipped to do because I have no stand or jack for the bike, and I am not sure if I need any special tools. I can grease bearings, but I would hate to get into the job and find out I need Harley spanner wrench #6647474....

I'm getting a manual pretty soon, so I'll read up on it then - just curious now. Thanks in advance.

Paul

Old 10-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dancemax

I have a 2003 Heritage Classic Softail. The owner's manual calls for lubricating stearing head bearing every 5k miles. I have done that. However this business of adjusting the "stearing head bearing" every 10k miles is confusing. I will be doing a 10k soon. I find this area confusing. The loosening of pinch bolt, fender mask tape and pointer business and fallaway after the bike is up on jack and all that jazz. Is this beyond the competence of a novice. Disassemble will be due at 20k; that's another issue that I will deal with next year or so. I have following questions.

1. What if I need adjustment and I dont do it, how will a maladjustment affect my motor cycle handling, in other words symptoms of mild to moderate to sever maladjustment or not doing the adjustment.
2. Do shops really do all that routinely at scheduled intervals?
2. Please explain in plain simple terms what it is and how to accomplish it.

I do have an Service manual on my bike but sometimes forum answers are so much more practical, easier and helpful.

A1. Possible excessive slop in bearing play could result in a loose handling bike.. (tank slapper, excessive feedback during hard cornering).....

A2. I can't speak for other shops, but at ours, it is mandatory.... Plus the legal issues are a bear for a tech to fail to ensure that the bike was properly done....

A3. The book is very clear in how to accomplish this... Raise front tire off of ground about 1/4 inch while still maintaining level bike.... Remove clutch cable from mount, loosen lower tree bolts holding forks in place (Tree needs to move up or down as needed), remove stem cap, bend down safety tab (Have a new one on hand to replace, softails are notorious for shearing off the retention tab), loosen stem nut, strike stem to loosen neck bearings a bit, lube, tighten or loosen starwheel adjuster, tighten stem nut to a torque that will get you about 1.5 inches of fall-away with a stationary pointer and marker with masking tape (Better to be on the snug side as the grease falls away from the bearing cavity it will loosen up a bit), Bend safety tab up once proper torque is applied, torque lower tree screws to hold forks, install stem cap and clutch cable....

Old 10-09-2006, 12:21 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect - that's exactly what I was looking for. I am going to be getting a motorcycle jack and a manual, so that will help me raise the bike off the ground and know what the heck I am doing. Thanks Shovelhead Bob, appreciate the tips.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:08 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

That's funny, my service manual specifically states to lubricate it every 10k, not 5k. Should I do it at 5k anyhow?