Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Wheel allignement/camber

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006 | 10:18 PM
0ut1aw
|
Tourer
Default Wheel allignement/camber

I am trying to figure out if I have tweaked my swing arm. I leveled my front brake disk and then checked my rear disk and it is not level. Is this an idication I have a bent swing arm or is this normal?

This is an after crash question but the crash wasn't really that bad.

Old 10-06-2006 | 11:22 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Wheel allignement/camber

Do you mean level (horizontal) or plumb (vertical)? I think you mean plumb. If the bike is upright and stable and front brake rotor is plumb then the rear should also be plumb...If not you've got a problem. If both rotors are plumb, it doesn't necessarily mean that the alignment is correct.

What sort of 'minor' accident are you talking about? If you were rear ended there is a possibilty that the swing arm is tweaked.

Old 10-06-2006 | 11:56 PM
0ut1aw
|
Tourer

I do mean plum and the rear and front are not plumb at the same time/place vertically. I had a high side the bike landed upsidedown fairly slow 40mph I measured the rear shocks center to center and they are the same. Measured the front forks center axle to top of the tree and for them off slightly the right direction. Maybe the tree moved a little? only visible damage was bars bent in a u (upsidedown) tank hard hit from bars rear fender skraped and shifted right. Later found the rear fender stryts also shifted.

Old 10-07-2006 | 03:09 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

I take it this is a Dyna, 'cause that is the way to check alignment on the Dyna Chassis....

And you need to use an INCLINOMETER (Digital is best), and compare front and rear rotor angles....

If by chance they are out, then you have a pretty simple procedure to correct the VERTICAL alignment......

There is no HORIZONTAL alignment for the Dyna.....

If by chance it is another platform (Touring/Softail/VRSC/XL), then the alignment tests and procedures are significantly different, and you must use different tools and measuring devices.....

And FWIW, your first post should be in the NEW MEMBERS SECTION....... At least introduce yourself to the Forum....

Old 10-07-2006 | 02:32 PM
0ut1aw
|
Tourer

My appologies for not intoducing myself and not posting in the new member section. Just looking for info on a problem and a current member said you guys new what you were talking about.

My handle/screen name/whatever is 0ut1aw been riding for too many years. I ride a 99 Lowrider and just survived a highside trying to avoid a sportbiker who dumped in my path.

Where can I find info on the proceedure to correct the vert allignment? Please

Old 10-07-2006 | 02:50 PM
0ut1aw
|
Tourer

Just to make sure I am using the correct terms

If my front wheel is at 90 degrees the rear wheel is at 95 degrees 90 being straight up and down and 0 being to the right from the rear. These are not actual measurements just estimates to explain

Old 10-07-2006 | 03:26 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

Both are to be at 90 degrees.....

To correct this, you will raise the rear of the bike at the rear of the Frame enough to unload the powertrain....

Remove the bolt that holds the stabilizer link to the motor....

Loosen all 4 motor mount bolts (2 front, 2 rear).....

Crank over botor 5-10 revolutions, as this will "Settle" the motor in the frame....

Take your measurements again, and get it to within 1/2 degree front to rear.......

Once the powertrain is aligned vertically with the rotors, tighten the motor mount bolts front and rear......

Adjust the stabilizer link in or out so that it drops in without forcing it in to the mount.....

Tighten the link mount bolt.....

Validate measurements.....

Test ride.....

Old 10-07-2006 | 04:26 PM
0ut1aw
|
Tourer

Did all that except the ride

Removed the seat and leveled across the frame then measured from floor to swing arm they are 1/8 of an inch off. The front forks are visually not in line with the bike. May try to loosen tripletree and see if they will realign themselves.

Old 10-08-2006 | 12:44 PM
0ut1aw
|
Tourer

Pretty much figured out that the trees are mis aligned at the very least. Anyone know how to properly align them?

Old 05-23-2020 | 09:45 PM
Mayhem1%ER
Stage IV

Originally Posted by 0ut1aw
I do mean plum and the rear and front are not plumb at the same time/place vertically. I had a high side the bike landed upsidedown fairly slow 40mph I measured the rear shocks center to center and they are the same. Measured the front forks center axle to top of the tree and for them off slightly the right direction. Maybe the tree moved a little? only visible damage was bars bent in a u (upsidedown) tank hard hit from bars rear fender skraped and shifted right. Later found the rear fender stryts also shifted.
The front fork pipes would give and bend before your triple tree would. Especially if you hit head onto something.

Quick Reply: Wheel allignement/camber