Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Wheel Bearings - Reusable after Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 07:32 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Bearings - Reusable after Removal?

I'm getting ready to chrome the rims on my Street Glide. I need to remove the wheel bearings before sending the rims to chrome. Is it ok to reuse the bearings after chroming, or do you recommend that I buy new ones? My bike only has 6000 miles on it, so the bearings are not that old, and I don't know how much new bearings cost. The guy at the chrome shop told me that the bearings are traumatized during the removal process and that's why I should get new ones. I don't mind buying them if necessary, but I just don't want to needlessly throw money away.

Thanks,
Doug

Old 09-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Wheel Bearings - Reusable after Removal?

ORIGINAL: UGGA

.... I need to remove the wheel bearings before sending the rims to chrome. Is it ok to reuse the bearings after chroming, or do you recommend that I buy new ones? My bike only has 6000 miles on it, so the bearings are not that old, and I don't know how much new bearings cost. The guy at the chrome shop told me that the bearings are traumatized during the removal process and that's why I should get new ones. I don't mind buying them if necessary, but I just don't want to needlessly throw money away.....

Thanks,
Doug
TRAUMATIZED... THAT'S A UNIQUE TERM...... How were youplanning on doing the bearing removal? With a hammer and drift or with a collet bearing puller?

If you use a Collet puller, your bearings are still salvageable, and could re-use them... But why would you?

They are cheap enough to replace, and it's piece of mind....

Now, if you hammer them out, they are essentially shot.... Yes, they are sealed, but the lateral shock loads induced upon them is above what they were designed for.....

Bearings are like tires, they are necessary evils that MUST be purchased for replacement....

Even if the manual says inspect them, they should be replaced, as the slightest nick or gouge is a defect (Steering, swingarm or older wheel bearings)..

Old 09-29-2006, 09:31 PM
UGGA
Road Captain

Bob,

I'm going to be using a collet puller. As for the cost of the bearings, like I said in my post, I have no idea what that cost is. There are 4 bearings, and if they're $25 each (like I said, I have no idea), that comes out to $100, on top of the $600 I'm paying to have the rims chromed. I'm not trying to be cheap, just smart. I'll take your advice and just replace the bearings - thanks for your input.

Doug

Old 09-29-2006, 10:21 PM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If they are not too TRAUMATIZED just call a good shrink.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:13 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned

The removal process side loads the inner and outer races against the ***** - that type of load is not what they were designed to do. The wheel guy is correct.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:06 AM
chops
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are cheap enough, all over ebay 2 for 20.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:32 PM
choppertime
Advanced

Very reusable, don't let anybody tell you different. If properly removed with either a Jims or Kent Moore tool they slide right out. They are rated over 100k miles and you or any other take off is far from that. Hearing someone say they need replacing just goes to show you how little they actually know about the entire process and how many years experience they have with these wheels.

Just let the plater do the R/R and the cost would be insignificant. I know we only charge $25 and that includes removal and replacement and of course guarantee. www.chromethathog.com

Old 09-30-2006, 07:15 PM
chops
Tourer

Just let the plater do the R/R and the cost would be insignificant. I know we only charge $25
So I can buy brand new bearings for $10 each, and you'll reuse bearings of unknown condition and charge $25 per wheel????

What am I missing here?

Old 09-30-2006, 09:05 PM
choppertime
Advanced

I don't know, what are you missing? Who removes and installs them for $10 each anyway? Or even where do you buy them for $10 each? Can you please share your source of either who sells them for $10 or who sells them and installs them for $10? Thanks

BTW: HD's PN# is 9267 but don't be fooled. Just because two come in a box don't mean you get them both for $29.95. It's actually 2 x $29.95 retail. Of course you could always go with aftermarket that Chop has the information for but why? Post subject ask if they are reusable or not. Answer: Yes.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:53 PM
chops
Tourer

Here's the link for anyone that wants them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rear-...mZ190004584319

$13.95 for two, plus shipping, would come to about $18.00 /2 shipped to me.

I would install them myself for free on my own bike; I do all my own wrenching.
Sure they are reusable not debating that at all, but why would you when they are so cheap?
Just because it says 'HD" on the box doesn't impress me much. I've opened plenty of genuine moco boxes just to be disappointed as to the country of origin.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearings - Reusable after Removal?