Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

touring swing arm conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:44 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default touring swing arm conversion

I finally got around to upgrading my swing arm on my 99 FLHRCI with an 06 swing arm. Instead of buying $200 worth of delrin bushings and keeping the 5/8" shaft I used the stock 06 3/4" pivot shaft and bearings/spacers. I used a 3/4 counter bore and 5/8 pilot to open up the hole for the shaft in the trans. Now when i installed the new swing arm to the tranny with just the shaft and the bearings/spacers (rubber isolators were not installed yet) that i had some play in the swing arm. Im not saying it was a 1/4" play but it was noticeable. Once i got the isolators in and everything tightened up the play was gone. I dont remember any play in the 5/8" shaft at all....in fact i had to pound it out with a rubber mallet. I totally forgot to check the play when I disassembled the original swingarm. Im just wondering now if I got ahold of a crappy counterbore or im worrying about nothing. Being a holiday weekend I havent been able to get ahold of my local wrench to pick his brain.
I have seen a rebuild kit before that includes a reamer and bushings to fix a worn out tranny before but for the life of me cant remember where i ran across it.
any help would be appreciated

Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything is so new and tight it would be tough to say now. Give it at least 1,000 miles before checking it for play again. When I did mine I bought the bushings new from another guy who bought them and never used them. He bought them, and then changed his mind and decided to bore our the tranny. He really screwed it up and had to have the tranny pulled, taken to a machine shop and then overbored. I mention this as you may want to consider that before anything else.

Keep us posted on how it is.