Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Front Brakes Squeek

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Guy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brakes Squeek

I recently bought an 06 road glide. The front brakes have squeeked sence the day I bought it. I took it in to be fixed and was told that I needed to seat in the pads and the squeek will go away. For the last 400 miles I have hit the front brakes as hard as I can safely every time I stop and the squeek has reduced by about half but is still there. Any recomeneations on how to speed up this process or fix the poblem.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:00 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Front Brakes Squeek

Disc brakes always have this problem. If they are not bedded correctly, they won't be as effective and they tend to be noisy.

Remove the pads, and lightly sand them with some 120 grit paper. Do the same to swept area of the disc. Be sure and get both sides. No go out and bed them in correctly, depending on what pads you're using.

Also, search the site for squeaking discs. Lot of discussion about this recently.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Square Dude
Banned

Sounds like a freight train stopping? Join the club. Disc brake squeal (squeak) is caused by the disc pads vibrating at a frequency that emits an audible noise. The pads are free to vibrate in the calipers. This is a common problem but not "normal". Anything you do may appear to fix the problem for a while but it only changes the frequency of the vibration to one that doesn't make an audible noise. Sand the pads and rotors, use anti-squeal compounds, switch the rotors side to side, install free floating rotors$$$, fill the cavity in under the rotor with foam, wave a dead chicken over them . . . all of these things just change the frequency of the vibration. Unfortunately, the one lasting fix is to buy free floating rotors (like most of the import bikes use) but that is expensive and the manufacturers don't guarantee it will fix the problem. Good luck with your fix.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Front brakes squeek? Do they slow you down? What is the problem? If they don't slow you down, then you should start to worry.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Guy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Sounds like something I am just going to have to deal with. I went for a long ride this morning and wore ear plugs for the first time (Wife thinks riding motorcycles is making me loose my hearing. Little does she know I am just getting better at tuning her out). But anyhow it blocked out the squal. Maybe this is going to be the fix ?. I am going to try beveling off the edges of the pads and cleaning everything very well. If it keeps up I will just live with it and name my bike squeeker. I have owned a honda 650 and a BMW K1150RT but even with the brake noise this bike so far is the best. Thanks Again - Guy

Old 09-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Kern
Road Master

I've had the same problem since day one on my Street Glide.

However, I did find that waving the dead chicken in front of them as Square Dude suggested did help.