Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Steering Head Leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 04:59 AM
1analguy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Head Leaking...

Hi All,

I hope this doesn't belong in "oil-related topics"...here goes: I bought a new '05 FXSTBI in Vivid Black this spring and before I took delivery, I had my dealer install black sliders, triple trees, brake rotors, and 6-spoke wheels. So basically, they had the whole front end apart. I've ridden the bike about a dozen times now and it has 900 miles on it. The problem is that every time I come back from a ride, I find that gobs of grease/oil have been oozing out of the bottom of the steering head into the air stream and onto the front valve cover, gas tank, my pants, etc. The lighter, oily component of this stuff also drips from the bottom bearing of the steering head onto the garage floor while the bike is parked. The "grease" is a very light brown color and of a very smooth/light texture. Question: did the "technicians" at my dealer fill my steering head with used K-Y jelly, or is this really the correct stuff? I mean, this can not be a normal condition, can it? EVERYONE would be complaining if this was the case. It's really corking my butt because the bike is absolutely fluid-tight in all other respects, as was my last bike (an '87 FXRS-SP). The service manual says to pump H-D "general purpose" grease into the Zerk fitting until it oozes out both the top and bottom bearings every 5000 miles. I checked out some new bikes in showrooms and the grease that is visable at the lower bearings appears to be of a slightly fibrous nature, so I'm hoping I'll be able to flush the snot out of there by chasing it out with the correct (different?) grease. I know that sooner or later it will quit coming out; it has to. I'm just affraid I'll be starting the whole process all over again when I grease it at 5000 miles. Anyone know anything about this problem?

Thanks

Old 06-12-2005, 12:31 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: Steering Head Leaking...

Sounds like you need to pay 'em a visit and see what they shot into there. Depending on how well organized the shop area is the mech doing the grease job could've easily grabbed the wrong gun.

Old 06-12-2005, 12:54 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Another question...does it SMELL like used K-Y Jelly?

Old 06-12-2005, 04:36 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

Leave it to Mac to come up with that. LOL

Old 06-12-2005, 05:05 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 05 Ultra is doing the same thing and I am told that there is no actual "seal" on the neck/tseering head and that grease does seep out regularly, especially in hot weather...any substance to this or should NO grease ever leak from the neck???

Old 06-12-2005, 06:15 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Since there is no seal, some grease is going to make its way out, especially in hot weather. If it had seals, it'd be necessary to disassemble the thing to grease it.

Old 06-13-2005, 01:24 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: John TN

Leave it to Mac to come up with that. LOL
Let's examine this a little more closely, the guy has a handle, 1analguy, he references, used K-Y Jelly, was it that far of a leap? Sorry to hijack the thread...I'm working too much lately.

Mac

Old 06-13-2005, 03:25 PM
fly
Advanced

The steering head grease that Harley dealers use and sell is blue in color. Sounds like you might have either the grease from the factory that is very sparse and thin....or they put in the wrong grease...if it ain't blue you might want to check back with them.

Old 06-18-2005, 02:13 AM
1analguy
Advanced

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

Well, if it did I certainly would not be complaining. Oh, and remind me to change my username (I'm just picky, not really a "rump ranger"...). Fly, thanks for the advice on the correct (blue) grease!