Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

No Front Brake!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:04 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No Front Brake!!

So I’m a new Harley owner, 98hugger, with a 1200 kit. Got it in a trade and have done quite a bit to it in the two months I’ve had it. I’m mechanically inclined but not a mechanic so be gentle folks. I replaced the peanut with a Quickbob 3.9 with dash and relocated the ignition and coil, added a Hypercharger air cleaner, tombstone tail light, marker lights, Zbar Handlebars, chrome switches and levers, chrome clutch perch, fluted grips, and 4.5 inch risers. I’ll add pics later. I kept the stock front master cylinder but all the fluid came out when I removed from the original bars….which leads me to:

The front brake. I can’t build any pressure in it. I pumped the lever until my forearm exploded and no pressure (did this for an hour, multiple attempts). When I opened the bleeder valve, while holding the lever in, just a trickle of fluid came out. I called the local dealer looking for a new master cylinder thinking it went bad somehow and they explained that someone probably used Dot 3. The color of the fluid that trickled out was yellowish clear. They then explained that I would have to replace the entire braking system because it damaged the seals and other components in the braking system. Is there any way around this$$$????

The little guy I call common sense that lives in my brain says to try and completely drain and flush/clean out the system. I told him I read somewhere to use “unsatured alcohol.” He was like, “WTF is that?” I wouldn’t know where to buy it but if I were to do that and replenish with Dot 5, would that cure my problem? I didn’t have ANY BREAKING issues prior to my mods. Anyway, any advice would be great. Blessing of the Bikes is this Saturday and I would like to attend....