Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Front rotor swap on FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Tech2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front rotor swap on FLHX

Ok, I'm tired of the brake squeal on my Street Glide and I want to swap the front rotors myself. I'd like to at least try the "free" fix rather than investing in new pads/rotors.

First question: I've removed the front wheel on my old Fatboy, but have never removed the front brake caliper to remove that wheel. The service manual for my FLHX says to remove both of the front calipers prior to removing the wheel. Is this necessary? or can the wheel be removed without removing the calipers?

Second question: How exactly are the rotors swapped? In other words, are they directional? Is the purpose of the swap (per the bulletin) to reverse the rotation of the rotors? or to maintain the same directional rotation after the swap?

Third question: I don't have access to the HD bulletin, so I'm wondering about "lining up" the rotors properly when I re-install them. I have read here that the bulletin explains the proper "alignment" of the rotors. Anyone care to explain the "alignment"?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gary

Old 08-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Tech2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front rotor swap on FLHX

Well, it's done. I found a post here which was a text version of bulletin M1192.

Total time: just over an hour.
Total cost: $4.00 for 10 new torx screws.
Not taking my ride to the stealer (who said the only way he could fix it was to install new pads, AT MY EXPENSE): Priceless

Removed the calipers and front wheel. The calipers must be removed to allow the wheel and tire to drop out of the front forks. My Fatboy had a single caliper, so this was a non-issue on that bike.

Removed the rotors, cleaned, and re-installed on opposite sides with new torx screws.

Front wheel re-installed, everything torqed to spec per the service manual.

The rotors can only be installed one way since the screw holes are counter-bored for the screw heads, which means that the identification markings alway face out.

I haven't gone for a test ride since the weather is nasty today. I'll find out tomorrw if it worked. If not, $200 in new floating rotors and pads.