Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

2008 Street Glide ABS questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010 | 04:46 PM
planger
|
5th Gear
Default 2008 Street Glide ABS questions

Even after looking through some posts here, I still have some confusion about ABS on these bikes. This really isnt an area where I want to learn by trial and error, so....

Are the wheels on ABS bikes actually different than the wheels for non ABS applications? Two dealers told me they were, but I have also been told it is only a function of the bearing ID (OD is supposed to be the same across the years), the addition of the ABS bearing, and the computer portion ( the reader / actuators ).

After opening the system, do you need to return it to the dealer to bleed it properly? I have been told that you must return it to them to reset the ABS computer to get the light to go out on the dash, but can you safely and completely bleed the system without hooking it up at the dealership?

Any help here would restore some small part of my sanity.

Old 01-31-2010 | 06:57 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by planger
Even after looking through some posts here, I still have some confusion about ABS on these bikes. This really isnt an area where I want to learn by trial and error, so....

Are the wheels on ABS bikes actually different than the wheels for non ABS applications? Two dealers told me they were, but I have also been told it is only a function of the bearing ID (OD is supposed to be the same across the years), the addition of the ABS bearing, and the computer portion ( the reader / actuators ).

After opening the system, do you need to return it to the dealer to bleed it properly? I have been told that you must return it to them to reset the ABS computer to get the light to go out on the dash, but can you safely and completely bleed the system without hooking it up at the dealership?

Any help here would restore some small part of my sanity.
the ABS Sensor is in the BEARING... The wheels are the same (ABS/Non ABS), the Front Left and Rear Right bearings are specific to the ABS Bike, to work with the Wheel Speed Sensors...

Yes, the vehicle must go back to the dealer, as the Dealership PC, called Digital Technician II has a program to cycle the front and rear pumps and get the air bleed out of the system, as well as updating the ECU for the Hydraulic Control Unit, clearing codes and diagnosing any issues....

Old 01-31-2010 | 08:47 PM
planger
|
5th Gear

Thanks Bob. Two of the parts guys I really like told me I could not use non ABS wheels. Will 09 wheels fit if I swap the 08 bearings in? Should get me the ABS bearing and the right axle diameter, even if the diameter is larger.

Old 01-31-2010 | 09:21 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

ABS bearings are 25mm axle dimension... I do not think that there is a dimensional difference as far as circumference.... Just gonna have to measure the bore to confirm it...