Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Lowered or not...how to tell

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:52 PM
MGN54
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lowered or not...how to tell

I just purchased a 2001 Night Train. After spending some time in the NT picture section, I'n wondering if my bike has not been lowered. Is there a way to tell? Just looks like I have less inner fork showing on my bike than some. Looks like i have a decent amount of rear tire showing between fender and wheel so not sure on the rear. I do know that when my rather large *** and my wife's medium one sat on it the other day the rear end really dropped..not sure if it bottomed or not. This is a concern to me as we plan to do some two up riding. Anything to look for in the rear suspension that would indicate it?

Here is a picture of my bike if it will help.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Lowered or not...how to tell-2001-nighttrain-medium-version.jpg  
Old 01-26-2010, 10:27 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default lowered question

To tell for sure would be to take the forks apart and measure everything including the top out springs and seat pipes. If you do go into your forks you should inspect your bushings and change oil seals along with oil. You may find something like this:

There are only 3 ways how to make a fork lower:
  1. Stick a lower fork into the triple trees.
  2. Use shorter seat pipes (damper tubes):
  3. Use either spacer/top out (rebound) spring combo or a series of top out springs. These go under the piston and on top of the seal valve located inside of the fork tubes.
  4. Without going inside of the internals: Jack your bike up and measure with the wheel off of the ground to the top of the fork tube under the top triple tree.
  5. There you have it!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like it to me, a stock bike you will see the top of the tire at the bottom of the fender and the ft tubes are short compaired to stock

Old 01-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here are a couple pics of stock and lowered, 1st is stock

Attached Thumbnails Lowered or not...how to tell-dscf0230a.jpg   Lowered or not...how to tell-imgp1993.jpg  
Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 AM
MGN54
Tourer

Blk and Chrome, those pics help alot. Thanks for sending them. I got under my bike and took a quick look and it appears to have the stock shocks on it with no lowering links or anything. But i need to take a better look in good light. If I crank the shocks for a "heavier" (as they say in the SM) rider, will that bring the rear end up some? Feel like I have to do something or me and the wife are going to be bottoming everywhere we go.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:39 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,335 Likes on 2,566 Posts

it's hard to tell if it's been lowered from looking at the shocks.They might have the bolts changed.To me your bike looks like it has been lowered a little.I'm looking at the angle of your swing arm.It's not in line with the backbone.The gap between your dust cap and bottom tree should be somewhere close to 7 3/4"stock.Yours doesn't look like that much.This pic is bone stock when mine was new.The second pic shows what 2" frt and rear lowered looks like.I can't ever remember bottoming out 2-up stock with 360 lbs on.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:08 PM
MGN54
Tourer

OK, guys....got NT out in the sun today and looked real good at the rear suspension. Looks like it has the HD rear lowering kit on the rear. Downloaded the instructions for install and it looks just like what I have. So, I'm guessing that most likely the front end has the HD lowering kit there as well. According to the P&A catalogue, the rear lowering kit can lower it an inch. Would I be wise to raise the rear as far as the kit will allow since I'm going to be riding two up? I'm pretty sure the rear preload is set for light load so I need to set it up for heavy load with my large ***, I guess. According to instruction on the rear lowering kit, the rear has to be jacked up to adjust it. So, I'm guessing I will be going to the dealer or indy to get that done and while there have them adjust the preload as well. Don't figure that would take much time on the clock.

What is the advantage to having the bike lowered other than looks? Is the handling going to be better? Ride better? Just want to know as i'm new at this part of the game!

Thanks to all who have responded!

Mark

Old 01-31-2010, 10:38 AM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MGN54
.............What is the advantage to having the bike lowered other than looks? Is the handling going to be better? Ride better? Just want to know as i'm new at this part of the game!

Thanks to all who have responded!

Mark
I lowered my Road King 1" front and back and it handled better and rode fine even 2 up with a "heaver passenger". THe main advantage is footing so you're not standing on tip-toes to hold the bike upright. I was tip-toe so I lowered mine. Note that it also lowers your overall ground clearance and reduces your lean angle slightly so you might drag pegs and s**t a little easier when hard cornering.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 AM
MGN54
Tourer

Thanks kbore. I'm about 6'1" and have pretty long legs so have no problem putting feet down. I do like the look but am just concerned about riding two up and bottoming. I think I will first adjust the preload to see if I can get some assurance there before doing anything further with ride height. I don't think the rear has been lowered much so just getting the preload set for a heavier load may be all it needs. Even with just me, if I sit down firm on the bike it really drops. Have a feeling it is set at it's softest setting.