Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

change rear brake--piece fell where it goes

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:37 PM
cgsiluk
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default change rear brake--piece fell where it goes

I changed the rear brake pads for the first time. All went well(i guess). I loosened up the caliper to help get the inside brake pad in. Went in fine then. I think a small metal U(triangle all most with all flat sides) like shape piece fell out from some where. It is about a one inche squared, with a dimple on top, 1 slash opening on each side(2 total). I looked and could not figure where to put it back or where it came from. I did take the bike for a very short ride and all seems to work with the brakes, but i wish to put this piece back where it belongs. I guess i have one more silly question. by reading the instruction there is a 2 point brake pad and a one point. It was a little confusing and of course i payed no attiontion to which pad i took of where. 2 point goes towards or closest the wheel i hope. I could not get it to fit the other way.

Next time i will hopely be a pro at changing the pads.

thanks for any help with that piece and where it goes.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The little metal piece sounds like it may be the anti-rattle clip. As far as the shape of the brake pad and its physical orientation in the caliper, with newer bikes the rounded part faces to the rear. What year is your bike and what model?

Bart

Old 09-01-2009, 06:47 PM
cgsiluk
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

I have a 2006 roadking. One brake pad had 2 pointed parts and the oher pad had the rounded and pointed part. It would only fit one way. The pad with the 2 pointed ends went in closest to the rim(inside the caliper i guess). The other went on the outer part. That is the only way it would fit. All seems to be working great! The direction that they cam with were not all that clear--or at least to me. Sounded like it said the other way, but could not fit them that way. I did put the anti rattle in the top middle part of the calipers. The only place i could see it fitting. I took it for a 30 mile ride. Using the rear brakes often. All seems fine. Bolts are still tight and bike stops(lol). Next time will be much easier. I think i would have down better not reading hd directions and just doing it.

thanks