Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Pulling hard to the left

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 06:13 PM
cain
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling hard to the left

Can anyone help me with this? I've recently purchased an 02 FatBoy with a 240 Phatail on it. Bike looks and runs great; however, for some reason the bike tends to pull hard to the left. I thought maybe it was just the whole wider tire on the front end that I wasn't used to. Although the more I ride this thing, the more I come to conclusion that something just isn't right with it.

I checked the tire pressure because I noticed an uneven wear pattern on the front tire. The wear pattern indicated that the previous owner had run it low. I over inflated slightly thinking it would help me balance the wear pattern and after taking it for a ride, I noticed the front end pull decreased significantly; however, it did not go away completely. I also noticed that my handle bars appear to be slight bent to the left (which I'm sure is plays with my head) but I don't think it has anything to do with symptoms I'm encountering in terms of it pulling. Isearch the forum but didn't find anything that directly relates to what I'm dealing with.

Anyone have thoughts? Is there something I'm missing? Can anyone think of an issue that cause the bike to pull in one direction? You can let this one go while ridng, it'll dump you.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:14 PM
woodworking1
Road Master

is it possible it has been in an accident? How do you bend the bars without at least dropping it?

Old 06-08-2009, 07:16 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This will give some insight possibly to your left drift. Some may or may not apply as it's measurements off my 07 fxstc. Other models in this year like the Fatbob are rigged this way with the 200 tire. Factory built in ( head for the ruhbarb when you let go of the bars)
In your case with the 240 check rear wheel centering.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...crooked-3.html
Ron

Old 06-08-2009, 09:03 PM
cain
Stage IV

Wow, I've been playing with motorcycles my whole life and I had no idea that the front and rear wheels were offset to compensate for balance issues. Since I have the 240 kit on there, I'm probably going to have to take it somewhere in order to determine how best to mend the problem. I was hoping that the issue might be easier to diagnose. Thanks for the insight.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:27 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cain
Wow, I've been playing with motorcycles my whole life and I had no idea that the front and rear wheels were offset to compensate for balance issues. Since I have the 240 kit on there, I'm probably going to have to take it somewhere in order to determine how best to mend the problem. I was hoping that the issue might be easier to diagnose. Thanks for the insight.
In this case they created a balance problem with offsets.
Ron

Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 PM
cain
Stage IV

I guess I'm going to have to find a custom builder who understands this stuff and who can tell me how to tweek it so that it will ride correctly.