Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Tire Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 01:36 AM
aframe2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Balancing

Just got my bike back from the dealer after having new tires mounted on a road king custom. I was cleaning the wheels and noticed that they had put an ounce of weight on the front left and and ounce in the same place on the front right. They did the same thing on the rear tire. I am by no means a technician, but it seems to me that this weight on both sides of the tire cancels each other out. Can I take all of the weights off the tire, or should I leave it alone? Thanks, Aframe2

Old 05-15-2006, 01:45 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Tire Balancing

If that tire was 2 oz. out, of balance than that is okay...

That is the light spot of the tire...

It was Dynamically balanced..... (Good thing)....

Just make sure that the Yellow dot on the tire is directly inline with the valve stem....

2 oz is a bit for a brand new tire...

Normally 1/2 to 1.5 oz.... and that is AFTER ALL OLD WEIGHTS ARE OFF, and new tire is on.....

Sometimes, the Police tires have to be spun on the wheel to get them to get to the point of a 1 oz Dynamic balance....

Anything over 2 oz (in our shop), and the tire or wheel isn't right....

Tweek the balance point 180 deg.. see where you are at... go 90 back and forward, see where your lightest spot is.....

Most customers DON'T WANT A LOT OF WEIGHTS ON THEIR WHEELS, so we attempt to accomodate as much as is possible...

Old 05-15-2006, 09:55 AM
aframe2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have another question. The shop that did the balancing used the big unattractive lead weight bar. One of them has already fallen off. I would like to know if I can replace the weight myself with the Harley Decorative weights, or should I have the wheels rebalanced? I didn't see a problem if I put the weight in the same place and used the same amount of weight, but then again, I am not a technician. Thanks again,
Aframe2

Old 05-16-2006, 12:51 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy the weights that you want, and pay attention to the placement....

We have a display at the Svc Writer desk, and it triggers people to ask for them, rather than what you are going to do....

It probably fell of as they didn't prep the wheel before sticking them on....

Clean off all contamination and a SMALL speck of Superglue to assist the double-sided tape to adhere....