Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Rear Pulley Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:39 PM
tattoofreaksb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Pulley Bolts

Just found today that the bolts on my pulley had come half way loose. Found it while I was washing it. On the rear, I've got the 18x5.5 RC Components Czar Eclipse Wheel, pulley & rotor. Checked the rotor but it's fine. I've only had the wheels on now for about 3 weeks. This also includes a good amount of time on the Dyno. The stock bolts wouldn't work & I was already using Diamond Engineering Fastners. Couldn't get any of the bolts to work because they were too long. Ended up buying some chrom bolts that fit a softail that seem to be the right length. Didn't have a washer either that would fit in the counter sunk bolt hole for the pulley. I just bought a new set of the same chrome bolts & bottle of red locktite. The bolts that came loose were torqued to 65 ft lbs & had red lock tight on them. Any idea of what I should be using for bolts on the pulley? This wheel is on the rear 07 Dyna Street Bob. The really sad thing is, is that my pulley was loose enough to rub the outer edge paint off pretty good on the inside of the swing arm. Thought about just saning down the flat spot some with 400g sand paper & trying to repaint that flat spot. Any help would gladly be appreciated. Suppose to go to the Outer Banks Bike Week this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Pulley Bolts-dscf1217.jpg  
Old 04-20-2009, 07:46 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked with RC Components to see what bolts they recommend? Its pretty scary to think your pulley bolts would back out when properly torqued and set with red locktite!

Old 04-20-2009, 09:05 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate chrome bolts for this application. Not only is the bolt inferior in mechanical properties chrome doesn't give a good surface for loctite to grab, unless it's roughed up first. For a normal bolt, red would be serious overkill.
Ron