Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

fork oil with lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 07:11 AM
jjwin98
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fork oil with lowering kit

I just put the progressive front drop in lowering kit in 06 street bob 10-2002, and changed the fork oil to heaver oil does any body know how much to put in i put about 22 oz in, and if putting to much in will prevent it from going any lower
thanks Jeff

Old 03-21-2009, 12:07 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW...
I won't be of much help with your softail but it would seem that that is way to much...
On the touring models all you need in each tube is @11 fluid ozs...
22 sounds like you doubled what should actually go in...
Someone with softail knowledge will chime in...

Old 03-21-2009, 12:15 PM
jjwin98
Cruiser

thanks that`s what I was told to put in, it sounded like to much to me

Old 03-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Ricor Shocks
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jjwin98
I just put the progressive front drop in lowering kit in 06 street bob 10-2002, and changed the fork oil to heaver oil does any body know how much to put in i put about 22 oz in, and if putting to much in will prevent it from going any lower
thanks Jeff
You bike should have 49 mm fork tubes. If that is the case then around 22 oz sounds about right. The oil level is considered a tuning element for bottom out resistance but a safe place to start is an oil height 4" from the top of the tube when the fork is fully compressed and no spring installed.

Brian

Old 03-21-2009, 05:50 PM
jjwin98
Cruiser

thanks it was all the way to the top when fully compressed gonna take a lot out tomorrow
thanks for all you help
Jeff

Old 03-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Ricor Shocks
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jjwin98
thanks it was all the way to the top when fully compressed gonna take a lot out tomorrow
thanks for all you help
Jeff
I'm sure you have already done this but be sure to cycle the fork a couple of times slowly to remove any air. Makes sense you would use less oil because it's a shorter fork than stock. I've never liked the fill by volume method, its always safer to measure it after filled.

Brian

Old 03-22-2009, 04:53 PM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Distance from Top

I have no idea what the distance should be on your setup but the standard, as mentioned earlier, is to set the oil at a certain distance from the top. This should be done after working the forks up and down to work all air out.

The "Tuning" that was mentioned basically works on the principal that the Air that is within the fork is getting compressed as your fork compresses. The less air space (Higher the Oil) there is will make the fork stiffer as you reach fuller compression of the fork. At very light strokes/bumps, say first halve of travel there is little effect from a higher oil level. The viscosity of the oil itself and the spring are controlling the dampening.

Bottom line is find out what the correct level is (the people that sold you the lowering kit should know) and then if you are a bit aggressive or ride on bad roads frequently or are on the heavy side then you might want to put in just a bit more oil.......... only a 1/4"-3/8" at most though.

Get a LARGE syringe to suck it out.... they are usually sold at a Motorcycle shop that does a lot of Dirt Bike work for a few buck.
Might be able to use the wifes deal she uses for basting turkeys.... make sure you throw it away afterwards