Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

bleeding brakes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 08:15 PM
picwick
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bleeding brakes!!!

[:@]damn it! i can't figure it out! it was working fine but since i changed my bars! i had to insatall a longer brake line now i can't seem to bleed the brakes for 1 reason or another. i even used a vacuum pump at the bleeder & still won't draw the oil through.! any suggestions?? thanks

Old 04-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: bleeding brakes!!!

Fill the master cylinder, put the cap on, pump up the pressure, with the brake applied open the bleeder screw to purge the air then close the bleeder screw. Repeat this process until all air is gone.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:48 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Holy Gotham City Batman (better words than I want to type...), Hey Picwick, I got my new fittings on Saturday and tried to bleed mine last night with my handy dandy hand vacuum pump, but I couldn't get it to work... I was about to try the manual method (squeeze brake lever, loosen screw, tighten screw, let go brake lever, repeat) when I re-read the instructions and it still didn't pull the brake fluid down like it showed on the diagram... What gives? Did I wast my money buying this handy dandy @#%@#@? Did you have any luck?

Old 04-12-2005, 10:29 AM
GaryC
Advanced

I used a handy dandy oil can. You know the kind with the pump handle? Put some clear tubing on the end. Then take off the cover from the master cylinder, and fill the brake fluid from the bleeder screw up. Sometimes filling from the bottom up is the only way to get all the air out.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:33 AM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

I tried that with my vacuum bleeder (supposedly you can reverse the tubes and make it pump using air pressure on top of the liquid) and I think someone changed my bleeder screw as I don't think they came from the factory with check valves, did they? Won't go in, but will go out.... I wonder if I drive one of the rubber funnel attachments into where the screw was.... hmmm.... I will try that tonight... or go buy some regular bleeder screws (ones without a check valve)

Old 04-12-2005, 12:23 PM
mchaous
Cruiser

It took me an hour yesterday to bleed the brakes the way the book said. I thought the oil would never go through the lines and come out the bleeder valve. It finally did and then it took a long time to get the air out of both fronts....

But it does work.....

Mark

Old 04-12-2005, 04:12 PM
GaryC
Advanced

TxMoores,
Sounds like you have speed bleeders. All you should have to do is open the valve and pump the brake lever. If that doesn't work put stock ones back and go from the bottom like I said. Good luck, I know I was frustrated when I did mine and someone told me about the oilcan trick.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:20 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Went down to the local automotive shop and replaced the speed bleeders, which were not working. I was able to pump the brake fluid back up into the resorvoir and then did a good bleed job with no issues... If I hadn't wasted those couple of hours farting around with those speed bleeders...

Old 04-12-2005, 11:48 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: TxMoores

Went down to the local automotive shop and replaced the speed bleeders, which were not working. I was able to pump the brake fluid back up into the resorvoir and then did a good bleed job with no issues... If I hadn't wasted those couple of hours farting around with those speed bleeders...
I always wondered about the speed bleeders, if they were worth a s----t. Thanks for the info and glad you have the brakes bled.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:59 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

glad your all fixed up, ride boy ride!

Quick Reply: bleeding brakes!!!