Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

OEM vs Progressive front springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:14 PM
06WGRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM vs Progressive front springs

Have an 06 Wide Glide and am changing out the lower legs. Since I am doing this I though I might as well change the springs to Progressive. Can somebody tell me the pros and cons as well as suggest what springs to use. Thank you

Old 02-27-2009, 12:19 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

All I can tell you is the change to Progressive fork springs was one of the best things I ever did to my FXRS. I did it after a car crunched my forks and I never realized how weak the OEM springs were. The bike feels much more planted and stable with much less front end dive during braking. Unfortunately, I immediately found out that it is also much more stable on the trailer with the front strapped down, since I found out the day after I rode it home from the shop that the accident had also trashed a lifter and I had to trailer it right back. The next winter I changed my rear shocks over to Progressive 412's and my bike rides and handles better with 137K on it than it did new.
As for which springs to use, go to the Progressive website or email or call them, they'll be glad to advise you. I used the standard length fork springs and 1/2" shorter rear shocks, but use a taller 140 tire in back to get my ground clearance back.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 AM
06WGRider
Intermediate
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info MP. I shall do the same. It seems only logical especially since my forks are apart. I was looking to see if there was actually a noticable difference between OEM and Progressive and if you say there is then the jury has reached a verdict. Especially since yours is the only reply I have gotten. Again, thank you

Old 02-28-2009, 03:28 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

06WG, I put the standard height Progressive springs in my 07 FXDC and they basically eliminated front end dive when stopping. 11-1525 is the Progressive number, same for all 06 up Dynas.
The stock springs are 13 inches long and use an 11 inch spacer. Progressive uses a much shorter spacer and a longer spring to achieve the same overall length.
The ride is not harsh at all like I thought it might be. Very nice improvement and not expensive, I think I paid around $60.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:26 PM
ebrown0104
Advanced

I put Progressive springs and Screamin Eagle fork oil in mine (V-rod) and my dad's bike (Road King), much better. The ride is more comfortable, the brake dive is less noticeable, and the front end doesn't "wobble" as much when you hit a mid corner bump.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:32 AM
06WGRider
Intermediate
Default Thanks

Thanks everybody for the great info. I love HDForums and its members.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:11 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Progressive springs

Hi,
I'm all for better handling, especially in corners and stops etc... Would like to get thoughts from other Fatboy owners who may have switched there front springs and rear shocks to progressives and how their bike handles.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 03-01-2009, 05:32 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
Hi,
I'm all for better handling, especially in corners and stops etc... Would like to get thoughts from other Fatboy owners who may have switched there front springs and rear shocks to progressives and how their bike handles.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark,
I'm not a fatboy owner but I am a fatboy...
I had the progressive springs on my 06Ultra with the S/E 15wt fork oil in it and loved the way the front end felt...
I had read from many memebers here that they opted for the changing of the fluid only on there touring bikes and it made a world of difference...
When I bought my 09 Streetglide and had the chrome front end put on it I had the stock fluid changed to the S/E 15wt fluid and it helped...But the oval wasn't as positive as the actual changing of the springs...
So guess what is soon on the things to do...
as far as the rear shocks on a softail I can't help there except to say but two words...
Think Platnium