Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Ok I'm confused!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009 | 05:42 PM
Sgt York
|
Tourer
Default Ok I'm confused!!

I did a search for rear shock oil and the more I read the more I'm confused!!

I have a 07 EG and want to lower it so I got a set of 12” HD air shocks. When I got them the oil had leaked out.

How much and what weight oil does the 12” take? I bought some Amsoil 5wt shock oil but after spending the afternoon looking on the intranet maybe I should have got 10wt.

I started to put the 13" back on, but like a dummy I laid them down and now the oil has leaked out of them also.

Thanks

Last edited by Sgt York; 02-23-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2009 | 06:39 PM
Sgt York
|
Tourer

Anybody??

Old 02-24-2009 | 12:36 PM
kkinderen
Road Master

I swear I have never heard of replacing oil in a shock. How could oil leak out of both old and new? I'll be watching this thread to learn something new.

Old 02-24-2009 | 01:50 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Texasbowhunter did a good writeup about replacing the oil in the standard 13" shock. He went with 7wt I believe. As for the 12" shock I'm not sure about how much it would hold. You should use the brass studs in them that hold the oil in when being shipped or not in use. Most people drain the shock and then put the same amount in that had come out. You may end up having to find someone with a spare 12" shock that is willing to drain it into a measuring cup and tell you what came out.

Old 02-24-2009 | 02:25 PM
56Maynard
Cruiser

325cc for the 12"...is my understanding or, put the shock in a press and compress. fill the shock to a little below the air fitting. I wouldn't worry about going to 10 wt because I believe the orifice in the shock is metered for 0-5 wt. If you do go with a too heavy of a wt you'll be getting "hydraulic lock up" at the orifice when hitting severe bumps. This lock up would feel similar to bottoming out but at almost any suspension height. To drain the remaining old oil you'll have to tip and rotate and be patient because any oil behind the orifice is going to have to come through a little hole (orifice) and I dont know if that orifice is referenced off of the front, back or, side of the shock.

Old 02-24-2009 | 07:27 PM
Sgt York
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by kkinderen
I swear I have never heard of replacing oil in a shock. How could oil leak out of both old and new? I'll be watching this thread to learn something new.
Lay the shocks flat with the air hose fitting up. Come back in a few days and the oil will have leaked out. I know this the hard way.

Old 02-24-2009 | 07:33 PM
Sgt York
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by 56Maynard
325cc for the 12"...is my understanding or, put the shock in a press and compress. fill the shock to a little below the air fitting. I wouldn't worry about going to 10 wt because I believe the orifice in the shock is metered for 0-5 wt. If you do go with a too heavy of a wt you'll be getting "hydraulic lock up" at the orifice when hitting severe bumps. This lock up would feel similar to bottoming out but at almost any suspension height. To drain the remaining old oil you'll have to tip and rotate and be patient because any oil behind the orifice is going to have to come through a little hole (orifice) and I dont know if that orifice is referenced off of the front, back or, side of the shock.
Thanks 325cc is equal to 10.98oz I think. This might be a stupid question, but here goes. I have the shocks on the bike now. Could I remove the air fittings and just add more oil to just below the air fitting?

Thanks!!

Old 02-26-2009 | 02:04 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

Rather than screw around with oil, why not just get much better gas-charged shocks?

Old 02-27-2009 | 07:41 PM
Sgt York
|
Tourer
Smile

Originally Posted by mp
Rather than screw around with oil, why not just get much better gas-charged shocks?
hmmm, let me think..Money

Last edited by Sgt York; 03-08-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2009 | 12:34 PM
dc4stroke
Road Captain
Default Money

Originally Posted by Sgt York
hmmm, let me think..Money
Money.....If I understood the parts guy at the local shop. Money shouldn't matter.....It's a Harley and if I had the money to buy one then surely I have the money to pay what they charge for parts.........This after he found out I buy a lot of stuff online. I told him where to go. That I DO have a budget. And usually get stuff around half off.........at least!

Good luck man. Changeing shock oil ain't that big a deal. Wish I could've helped but I have no experience with those units.

Quick Reply: Ok I'm confused!!