Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Grip removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 07:12 AM
Brian
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grip removal

Hi, I have a 2003 Road King Classic with the anniversary handlebar grips. I have bought some new chrome/rubber custom grips to put on. My question is does anyone have any good tips for removing the old ones without damaging them in case I want to refit them again later on. Any tips on removing and fitting the grips will be very helpful to me.

Thank you in advance for any replies. Brian

Old 04-08-2005, 08:32 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Grip removal

I've been told you can wedge a small screwdriver between the grips and the handlebar and unseize the glue. Also some have used WD40. When I replaced mine, I just cut them off. The chance of me putting them back on were slim to none.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Use a small flat bladed screw driver and wedge it between the grip and the handlebar, and spray carb cleaner under the grip using a straw attached to the nozzle. You may have to use this technique in a couple different places, but the grip should be able to be twisted off, and with ease.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:56 PM
hawk
Road Master

I just cut them off,I don,t think they will be used again

Old 04-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One word - air. This is how I have removed golf grips for years.

Start a small opening with yioiur screw driver. Insert the business end of your air nozzle into aforementioned crevice and blow.

What? No air compressor? Harbor frieght - excuse me - China frieght. Less than 100 bucks for a pancake job.

Mikeeeeeeee

Old 04-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Iceman
Tourer

hmmm i just put "the hands" on it and gave it a good twist. well, several good twists, and it came right off, undamaged. try that first.

Old 04-09-2005, 02:26 PM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer says they just cut the left one off and have to replace it. However, if you want to try to save it, I've had a lot of experience with glues on guitars and would suggest that you try a hair dryer (think minutes, not seconds) or wrapping a heating pad around it for 20-30 minutes and then try working it loose. If it works, once you get the initial "break" from the glue you may be able to just use muscle power to get it off or you may only be mable to move it a little. If it stops on you again, go back to step one and re-apply the heat. Normally, I'd say the heat is not worth the time vs. money that you dave, but since these are 100th anniversary grips, they may have sentimental value for you.

Old 04-09-2005, 03:29 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Well, I tried lighter fluid, thin bladed screwdriver, air, brake cleaner, carb cleaner and got the left one off, but the throttle side would not budge. I finally had to cut it off and there was so much glue under it I ended up using a wire wheel to clean it up enough to take the new grips... I don't think the factory puts that much glue on the grips so hopefully you won't waste a couple of days like I did....

Old 04-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try the air. It works.

Mike