Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Front axle gap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:27 PM
HDCPL4PLAY
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Front axle gap?

This should be simple but I cannot figure out why I have a gap in between the spacer and the fork on the front axle? The bike is a 2006 FXST and I just took the wheel off to change to a new tire and upon reassembly, according to the manual, I have this gap left and it will allow the wheel to move about a 3/8 in. What did I do and how do you fix this?

Attached Thumbnails Front axle gap?-im002998.jpg  
Old 02-14-2009, 01:43 AM
mafosa
Cruiser
Default spacer gap

o.k. went through this the other day. theres a gap cause the axle main bolt is trying to pull the axel through the fork clamps (2 smaller bolts ) when you started to tighten the main bolt its simply pulling it through.
the fix is to loosen the main bolt and 2 smaller bolts and slide the axle back untill it about 1/8 recessed in the fork clamping area. then torque to specs on the 2 smaller bolts THEN the main bolt wont pull the axle back through. side note: the longer spacer is on the brake cliber side. hope that helps.
larry

Old 08-02-2018, 08:57 AM
FXDL1450
2nd Gear
Default Sometimes the gap is OK.

Sometimes this gap is OK. The stock Harley axle has shoulders in it. The spacers should align with the shoulders. When installed the tightening of the axle nut should align things properly. If an attempt is made to pull things together by basically bending in the side with the gap then tightening the pinch bolt before tightening the axle nut either the fork lower could bind and/or the side with the axle nut will not have the axle fully seated. Hopefully the included pics show the shoulders (I drew arrows with a sharpie) and they are just visible after install.
Shows the shouldler on the axle (black arrows) and where the space will ultimately lie.

Shows the gap and just barely visible the arrows.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:32 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,314 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Normal for your year ... Axle Shoulder is used as part of the "Spacing"

If I read the below correctly... If the Manual stated you would have that Gap, why would you think you would need to "Fix" it ?
Originally Posted by HDCPL4PLAY
...upon reassembly, according to the manual, I have this gap left and it will allow the wheel to move about a 3/8 in. What did I do and how do you fix this?

Old 08-03-2018, 08:34 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Wow, I just realized that I just got sucked into a 9.5 year OLD thread by a 1 post Newb ... Noticed when I saw that the views were almost 3000 ...huh?

Well I hope hdcpl4play sleeps better tonight (after all these years)

Last edited by multihdrdr; 08-03-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:06 AM
FXDL1450
2nd Gear

Firstly, thank you for the one post noob comment. I’ve been here before, but can’t for life of me find my old login (I think it’s from a now defunct hotmail account). Several reasons for posting, one this post comes up when doing an internet search on axle gap (as do many others that are more current - from this year - but on older bikes), two older bikes are getting harder to be supported by parts/service personnel, three service manual doesn’t address this at all (neither do the parts break out when buying new parts), what you claim as “normal for your year” is your opinion as it does not exist in any official HD documentation. Thank for my motivation to now STFU for not following your high standards. In a pissing contest, everyone gets wet. I’m out.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:49 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

First, you're welcome...

This isn't a "Pissing contest" ... "Pissing Contests" are typically based on opinions. My comments are based on FACTS, although because of your lack of knowledge and/or experience (take no offense), you think they are Opinions

Service Manuals may not point to the "Gap" (for applicable years...typically most models 07-earlier and Softail Front 06-earlier ... all before the change to 25mm bearings ) and say "Here is a Gap", but they can show you how to align the Right Slider (usually with a drill bit) and provide a picture/illustration showing the Gap.

Below is an example from a 2007 Touring Manual (before going to 25mm in 2008). In 2008 when they changed to 25mm they ... changed the axle, Dropped the Drill Bit Right slider Alignment Procedure, made the Right Spacer longer and allowed the spacer to do the spacing ... NO GAP.

Does the Manual really have to say "Here's a Gap ?

Btw, same thing happened to your Dyna line (although in the same 2007-08 transition as above, opposed to your 2000-05 bike)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask ... Seriously

Last edited by multihdrdr; 08-03-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:33 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

FXDL1450,
Here's a illustration from a Service manual that applies EXACTLY to any Bike like shown in your pic...(2000-05 Dyna / 2000-07 Sportster ... 39mm Narrow-glide)

The Manual really only had to say ... "Follow these instructions and everything will be fine and here's a picture of what it will look like"

Which is.... "Normal for your Year/Model"

Last edited by multihdrdr; 08-04-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:13 PM
FXDL1450
2nd Gear

Official manual.

That image applies to dual disc.

Mine is single disc.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:27 PM
FXDL1450
2nd Gear

My main points being:

1. This thread comes up when searching for axle gap and there are newer threads, so this still seems to be an issue.
2. Today’s service and parts personnel cannot help since they’re going off of the official manuals, which don’t specifically cover some applications. And they may be more experienced in more modern models.
3. I posted because I wanted to add to the knowledge base for those who wrench older Harley’s.

Quick Reply: Front axle gap?