Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Fork Kit By Race Tech

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 PM
prestaino
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fork Kit By Race Tech

Trying to get a little better handling out of my 2007 Electra Glide Standard. Any one have any experience with the Fork Suspension Kit by Race Tech? It includes springs and some valving?
www.racetech.com
Pat

Old 11-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Put their kit in MUCH better handling. I also put in the thicker oil. Now no more front en dive under heavy breaking.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 PM
meepers
Tourer

Its an EXCELLENT product. Even if you only get the cartridge emulators you will notice a significant improvement. Basically the kit with springs is upgrading all the internals of your suspension including valving. They have multiple spring setups that work based on your weight and riding style.

When I was racing I had race tech do my suspension, and have used their products on all my street bikes. They also have awsome tech support.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:36 PM
prestaino
Cruiser

What about those shocks .... called Caddies never heard of them?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:31 PM
meepers
Tourer

I sent you a PM on the rears, but figured others may want the info too I personally have not used their rear shocks for the touring bikes, but looking at their product page, basically they are sealed units, **non air ride** that are a coil over setup. These are basically a progressive spring unit like what can be found on most modern sport bikes. They are rebuildable, and looks like they can be revalved as well. They are pricey, but I have no doubt they are worth it and would be a significant improvement over stock, especially if you have a tru track or other rear stabilizer on the back.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:47 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

race tech makes great stuff. I didn't go look at their page to see exactly what this kit includes. I put in their fork springs and catridge emulators... probably the best mod I did to the bike. I had Progressive's fork springs in before that and they really mucked up my ride.
If you go this route, call them for proper spring weight selection. i used their online calculator, determined the proper weight, etc. I then called them with a different queston and spring weight came up in the conversation. He asked me things like wieght, riding style, etc, and suggested a completely different spring.

I don't know about their rears. I have 440's on the back right now. If I ever get a new bike, the front end will immediately get "race tech'd", and then I will seriously consider their rears, and compare pricing to the 440's (which I really like btw)

Old 11-17-2008, 08:10 AM
gunnert
Road Captain

The Racetech emulators are a great improvement over stock. I run them in a 1999 RoadKing that is lowered 2 inches. But, the ultimate front end fix is from Traxxion. They install a full cartridge system into Harley forks. Traxxion is expensive, but, it cures all front end ailments on a heavy Harley.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:14 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Front end Mods

1: The holes in the seat pipes are drilled for a exact oil weight. If you wish to change the stiffness of the ride you can weld up the holes and re-drill them to the size you want using a formula. Remember that the holes do not need to be in the same position so just drill to the right or left. The emulators are also adjustable by turning the screw and spring.

2: Progressively wound springs vs Linear wound springs: I personally prefer linear as there is no surprises when you hit the stiff part of the progressively wound spring. Linear is the same spring rate to full compression where progressive is not (different spring rates). There are a few racers who can make the work but most who can not.

a: Personal preference. Not all progressively wound springs are the same, actually none are so you need to ask questions as to how long of travel, under your forks compression, will you have from the company you are thinking of buying from.
b: In the case of Harley 1" lower (Street Glide) I did post pictures and did the calculations showing that you have only 3/4" of travel until you are into the stiff part of the spring. Again, progressively wound is not a company but a way of making a spring. BTW racing has exactly the same problems as comfortable touring, keeping the wheel in full contact with the road.

Suspension upgrades and comparisons
In a scale of 0~100, 0 being exactly stock full length bagger suspension (non-Street Glide) I would rate the following:

0 = Stock
10 = Changing the oil to suit (or welding & re-drilling) and changing to progressively wound springs.
40~45 = Change to Gold cartridge emulators and quality springs selected to your weight, passenger weight, gear, and riding style.
100 = Either Traxxion Dynamics (Max's) or our cartridge system (X-Factor). Go for the adjustable valving as you can fine tune the front end.

There was a post on a customer of mine who has a 2008 Street Glide and we just installed the Penske shocks and cartridge front end.
gunnert is correct, the price is not cheap ($1,149.99 + shipping of around $20.00) but I have never had a dis-satisfied customer with this product. Max's products are also top quality. With the kit of either manufacturer, you get springs matched to your weight.

3: As most of you know, I am not a fan of Progressive 440's. For the near same money you can purchase Ohlins which are no where the same ride. I have done blind shock tests comparing the 440 to other brands. In the opinion of the HDF member, there is no comparison. There are many other shocks out there that will give you a much better ride than a 440 for the same or less money. I speak from experience as I have ridden the different brands and not just relied on one set to say the shock is better than another one. Do your research before spending your hard earned money and get the best value for your riding style and budget.

Qualifications: I am a sponsor of this site and we do suspension for a living every day. Race Tech is owned by GMD of Corona, CA 92880, we do the Sport Bike suspension work (not manufacturing or Harley work) under GMD Computrack of Pompano. Thes is a franchise of 7 companys in the USA. We all work together. No matter who you buy it from, it is the same price.