Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:31 PM
als88
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default pads and rotors

i am going to put new brake pads on my '06 roadking classic and was wondering if i can have the rotors machined to smooth them out. got a few grooves and ridges in them, not too bad. is it worth it or should i replace them? also what is the difference between the different lyndall pads? and best place to buy all the above? thanks

Old 11-08-2008, 06:57 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The LRB pads come in three different levels.
"The Gold Plus compound is our latest advancement in high performance friction materials. This racing formula offers extreme stopping power in both wet and dry conditions. Dust and rotor wear are eliminated. This proprietary blend of organics and trace iron requires no break-in and can see over 18,000 miles.

Our Red Plus compound is specifically designed to compliment metal matrix composite rotors. It provides the highest coefficient of friction, the longest service life, and runs cleaner and quieter than any other composite specific pad available. Fitments include OE and most aftermarket calipers.

Our Z Plus compound is a softened version of the Gold Plus compound. It is excellent for general purpose riding and offers a high coefficient of friction. This is the most rotor friendly pad in the industry. It produces no dust, and no noise. The service life generally averages about 18,000 miles.

Riders Claim our Brake Pads:
Stop
Powerfully
Last Longer
Don't Squeal
Don't Create Dust
Don't Scratch Rotors "
http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/products.htm

I use the Z+ pads and can't say enough postive things about them. As far as machining your rotors goes, they come very thin new. If you take more meat off, you are asking for trouble. If you wanna clean them up a little you could rig them up on something so that you could keep them turning at a steady speed (in an electric drill?) while you smoothed them by hand with a 90 degree grinder. I don't think anyone offers rotor machining.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:12 AM
als88
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thanks for the input mopardave. makes sense, i also read that the rotors have no specs for machining the thickness to maintain tolerences. so i guess i will just replace them when i stop riding for the winter. i was kinda leaning towards the z plus pads also. ride on.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:23 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the HD floating rotors. Some on here don't like the design, but I've had no trouble and great brakes ever since I've used them with the Z+ pads. The outer ring of the rotor is attached to the inner hub or carrier with spring loaded fasteners. It allows the outer ring to move a little in compliance with your rigid mounted calipers and they run a lot cooler. Also, no heat is transferred to the hub from the rotor. It's a nice upgrade and the HD version's are only about $120 each. Take a look at the aftermarket version and compare. Good Luck!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a pair of polished SS rotors from KC International on Ebay for $100 for the pair. I bought the Z+ pads on Ebay as well. Users report the Z+ work very well with polished SS rotors. HD recommends to never reuse rotor mounting bolts, so might want to get a chromed set 9or 2).

I compared the Harley FLoating Rotor finish with my cheepies and the HD rotors are not very well polished ( I read about this on another thread so I checked it out). The HD's finish on the outer portion look pretty dull). Folks here on the forum have been sending their brand new HD floating rotors out for polish. You could machine them but they wont look very good unless you polish them (220 then 320 then 400 then 600 then 1000 then 2000.......). Buy some new ones.

Last edited by Kbore; 12-19-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: bad spellr
Old 12-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Probably too late to help with the rotor machining question, but the rotors have a min. thickness spec stamped in them near the center. If you have ridges, you may be close to the wear limit. You can buy take-off rotors pretty cheap--$40-$50. Haven't checked my SM, but there is probably a min. thickness spec there as well for the rotors.

Originally Posted by Kbore
I bought a pair of polished SS rotors from KC International on Ebay for $100 for the pair. I bought the Z+ pads on Ebay as well. Users report the Z+ work very well with polished SS rotors. HD recommends to never reuse rotor mounting bolts, so might want to get a chromed set 9or 2).

I compared the Harley FLoating Rotor finish with my cheepies and the HD rotors are not very well polished ( I read about this on another thread so I checked it out). The HD's finish on the outer portion look pretty dull). Folks here on the forum have been sending their brand new HD floating rotors out for polish. You could machine them but they wont look very good unless you polish them (220 then 320 then 400 then 600 then 1000 then 2000.......). Buy some new ones.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:28 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Lyndall Z+ Pads and Floating Rotors Rock ... Nuff Said