Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

New Lyndall Pads - Rotor Discolored

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:16 AM
slowhand
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lyndall Pads - Rotor Discolored

I put on new front pads this weekend on an FLHRCI. They stop well and are relatively quiet.

I had one question. The rotors almost immediately were discolored. Is this normal? Is it possible that they are too tight and the rotors are overheating? There is nothing to adjust, is there?

The one thing I noticed is that there is very little play in the brake lever. It takes very little pressure or movement to apply the brakes. Can I bleed a bit of fluid out to soften up the feel a little?

Last edited by slowhand; 11-03-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:26 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is normal. During normal operation, pad material is deposited on the rotor surface.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:19 PM
meepers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you say discolored, is it pad material? or are the rotors turning blue/purple. If its just gray streaking or light discoloration then yes, thats normal.. If they are turning deep blue/purple, that is an indication they are getting too hot. Did you seat the pads and break them in correctly? If you just threw on a new set of pads and went off riding normally, they are not bedded in, that can cause uneven pressure, overheating, and excessive wear.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:15 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like Bob said, the LRB pads put a layer of pad material down on the surface of the rotor. The rotor pretty much does not wear.

You should give them a call directly if you have any more questions. They are real easy to deal with and will even give a refund if you don't like their product. 800-400-9490
I'm thinking that that is a rare occurence.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:17 AM
slowhand
Cruiser

Originally Posted by meepers
If they are turning deep blue/purple, that is an indication they are getting too hot. Did you seat the pads and break them in correctly? If you just threw on a new set of pads and went off riding normally, they are not bedded in, that can cause uneven pressure, overheating, and excessive wear.
That is pretty much what I did. Lyndall claims no break in period. They are too tight though. I don't think I bled them properly. I am picking up a mityvac on the home and I hope that will solve the issue.

Last edited by slowhand; 11-04-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:08 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Thumbs up

Did you do the caliper clean up like it shows you on the site? You need to do that and really thoroughly clean the rotors too. I'd remove the roters and scrub them with soap and water. If you use scotchbrite by hand, you can get the stock rotors shined up pretty good. It is best to extend the pistons into the caliper a bit and scrub them clean. Do not extend them out too far and pop them out of their bores. Use something (like the old pads) to put in there that is thicker than the thickness of the inner and outer backing plate +1/4". That should extend the pistons out far enough for you to clean them. Just pry them back in and top off the master.
If you don't do all this, they will hang up. I think you need to do this every 5000 miles. LRB says 2500 miles between cleanings. I'd say do what they say and see what they look like on the first cleaning. If they were not really in need of cleaning on that service, I'd say it would be safe to do it like me at 5000 mile intervals. The stock pads on my 05 wore like wedges. The dealer acted like it was just normal. LOL
If you have never flushed through some new brake fluid (complete fluid change), you should. It will make a big difference on how your brakes work.
Good Luck.

Caliper cleaning procedure:

http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/service_tech.htm

Old 11-05-2008, 09:39 AM
slowhand
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mopardave
Did you do the caliper clean up like it shows you on the site? You need to do that and really thoroughly clean the rotors too. I'd remove the roters and scrub them with soap and water. If you use scotchbrite by hand, you can get the stock rotors shined up pretty good. It is best to extend the pistons into the caliper a bit and scrub them clean. Do not extend them out too far and pop them out of their bores. Use something (like the old pads) to put in there that is thicker than the thickness of the inner and outer backing plate +1/4". That should extend the pistons out far enough for you to clean them. Just pry them back in and top off the master.
If you don't do all this, they will hang up. I think you need to do this every 5000 miles. LRB says 2500 miles between cleanings. I'd say do what they say and see what they look like on the first cleaning. If they were not really in need of cleaning on that service, I'd say it would be safe to do it like me at 5000 mile intervals. The stock pads on my 05 wore like wedges. The dealer acted like it was just normal. LOL
If you have never flushed through some new brake fluid (complete fluid change), you should. It will make a big difference on how your brakes work.
Good Luck.

Caliper cleaning procedure:

http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/service_tech.htm
Thanks for the advice. I did the cleaning service.

I properly bled the brakes yesterday and that was the issue. They work perfectly.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:18 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Thumbs up

Great!