Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Intermittent Vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:54 PM
HDJaco
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intermittent Vibration?

Has anyone experienced a vibration that starts suddenly and is so slight that if it were not your bike it would probably go unnoticed? At first I thought the vibration was a rougher patch of road, so I changed lanes and it stayed the same. I moved into the center of the lane versus the side and it stayed the same.
I would describe the vibration as "in the seat of my pants" and almost as if a half track style vehicle drove on the road in front of me but it is so slight that it is barely noticeable. The bike will drive like this for a half hour or so then stop just as fast as it started. It usually starts while going through the gears and I shift from 2nd to 3rd.
BTW - Once it starts it does not matter what type of road I'm on, it stays the same. For instance, today it started on a main road that connects to a highway. I got on the highway and then off the highway five exits later and it stayed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jay

Old 09-06-2008, 08:56 PM
chaktekok
Intermediate
Default vibration

I just installed highway bars on my 07 deluxe and have noticed a vibration at certain rpms. Realized that the vibrations have probably always been there and the highway bars are acting as tuning fork and accentuating the vibrations. Have you installed any new components?

Old 09-06-2008, 10:28 PM
mo-fo-joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might want to take a look at the large torx head screw that holds your kick stand on...Jack your bike up and see if its tight. During my 1000 mile inspection i found mine slightly loose. After i tightened her down a slight vibe i had went away. And certainly give a good look at other fastners as well, especially on your pipes, heat shields etc....good luck

Old 09-07-2008, 08:38 AM
splitting_lanes
Tourer

I have noticed vibration problems related to how tight the rear belt is... try a slight adjustment of it, looser or tighter, and see if things change.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:11 AM
bondyhog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to do some simple tests to see what effects they have. A mechanics nightmare is a vibrating bike with no sign of what is causing it. You say that it normally starts when you change from 2nd to 3rd which could point to something being unbalanced in the gearbox or somewhere along the drivetrain. I find it hard to believe that something on the bike is acting as a tuning fork. It is possible, but it would happen every time your bike was revving at a certain RPM and you would have noticed that already. Is the bike making a noise along with the vibration? If so how deep is the sound. Rule of thumb is the deeper the sound the bigger the part. I'm guessing that no sound is there otherwise you would have mentioned it. Go for a ride and once the bike starts vibrating pull in the clutch. Does it stop? If so keep the clutch pulled in and slow down. Does the vibration change speed with the engine? Just try different things with the controls and if anything stops it let me know and I'll try to diagnose it from there. But if it gets worse, get it to a garage as unbalanced items can cause more damage that you'd think. Try these things and let me know.