Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

FLHR front wheeel 'singing'

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:05 PM
spclark
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLHR front wheeel 'singing'

A couple months ago, I removed the front wheel from my 98 roadking to have the tire replaced. &nbsp\\;I noted the spacer configuration as I took the wheel off, then took it to harley to have the new tire installed. &nbsp\\;I re-installed the front wheel and torqued it so spec.&nbsp\\; With the front wheel still up off the ground, I noticed a slight ‘play’ in it by virtue of&nbsp\\; very slight ‘clunk’ when I kicked the tire.&nbsp\\; I tried to ‘feel’ this play with my hands on opposing sides of the wheel, but really couldn’t feel any.&nbsp\\; So I re-checked the spacers and torque then set it down and have been riding it ever since.&nbsp\\; However, I noticed a very feint ‘singing’ from the front wheel when leaning through right or left sweeping turns at freeway speed.&nbsp\\; As soon as the bike was vertical, this sound disappears.&nbsp\\; It has gotten noticeably louder as I put more miles on it, and I’m suspecting something’s amiss with the wheel bearings.&nbsp\\; It is a Performance Machine Vintage (5 spoke) wheel with about 10k miles on it.&nbsp\\; Does anyone have an opinion on what problem this might be?&nbsp\\; I decided this morning that I better not take chances with the front wheel so I will be taking it off to have it checked. &nbsp\\; Thanks, Steve

Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 PM
candyx
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FLHR front wheeel 'singing'

Does it sound like Van Halen or ZZ Top ?

Old 08-01-2008, 12:11 PM
pmcburne
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 91 FLHS did that and it had timken bearings. My new 2007 Road King did it with ball bearings. I changed the front tire to an Avon and the noise is gone. Seems that the stock Dunlop likes to sing on curves. The problem now is the Avon grabs cracks on the road. Try a Metzeler or Continental.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:45 PM
candyx
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if it sounds like Van Hagar then something needs to be replaced.