Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

front brakes dragging

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 08:00 PM
06glide
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front brakes dragging

My Street Glide has 3100 mile on it, is this normal ? I put the bike on a jack and spun the front wheel, there was some restriction while spinning the wheel. When I'm sitting on the bike, in neutral and rolling I hear the brake pads in contact with the rotors. The right side rotor appears to be wearing more than the left. Any one else had these problems ?

Old 03-12-2006, 04:51 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: front brakes dragging

Sounds like the pistons are sticking. I would pull the caliper and break it down.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Quickie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by my dealer that the brakes are supposed to drag to a point. The problem I have is the front rotors are warped with only 6k on them, you should hear the drag on my front brakes. Its intermittant and it drives me crazy. If I hear someone tell me that I am breaking improperly again I will snap. I,ve been riding for 15 yrs. I baby this bike and I never had this problem with any of my other bikes. Thats my question? Any aftermarket suggestions for brakes, pads and rotors. I don,t want to re instal Harley brakes.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:27 AM
06glide
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did alot of riding this weekend, Stop at two dealerships, and met a few people. I brought the brake issue up to them and everyone I spoke to said this was normal. This is my first Harley, but as a mechanic it just seemed like to much pressure applied to the disc. I'm thinking pre-mature brake wear. I guess it's time to upgrade the exhaust so I can't the brakes dragging.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:14 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: Quickie

I was told by my dealer that the brakes are supposed to drag to a point. The problem I have is the front rotors are warped with only 6k on them, you should hear the drag on my front brakes. Its intermittant and it drives me crazy. If I hear someone tell me that I am breaking improperly again I will snap. I,ve been riding for 15 yrs. I baby this bike and I never had this problem with any of my other bikes. Thats my question? Any aftermarket suggestions for brakes, pads and rotors. I don,t want to re instal Harley brakes.

They are suppose to be in contact but they are suppose to wear down at the same rate. If the caliper is a floating type then it is sticking. If it is not a floating caliper then it is off center.

Performance machine brakes.

http://www.performancemachine.com/index_02.html

They work fine with the Harley master cylinder.