Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Noisy front brake..fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Tommy Meisel
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy front brake..fix?

The front brake on my 05 Heritage has started to make weird noises after 6000 miles. When I am coming to a stop, and release the front brake, rolling into the full stop with the rear brake, the front brake will squeal once every wheel revolution as if there were something on the disc. The least little application of the front brake stops the noise. Now it is doing it at higher speeds as well, right up to 65 or so. Again, the least little front brake application stops the squeal. I've tried warming up the brake by keeping it on long enough to get hot, that helps for a bit but as soon as it cools off it squeals again. The outside temps are about 45 degrees when this is happening.

I am familiar with disc brake squealing when they are being applied, but this is just the opposite, they squeal when they are NOT applied.

My first thought is to clean everything with some brake cleaner and see if that stops it. The pads look OK peering in from the ends. The rotor has minor scratching, looks pretty normal to me. Any other suggestions from those reading this post? It is embarassing to roll up to a stop with your front end squealing like a hog...no pun intended here.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:27 AM
Budds
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Noisy front brake..fix?

Same here !

I have dual chrome rotors/calipers up front, and they tend to squeal just because !
If I wipe them down good and keep them clean, it aint too bad..... but its definately a short term fix.
I have read someone post somewhere, that if you bevel the outside edges of the brake pads..... it helps as well.... but I have not tried that yet.

Just Sayin........

Budds....................