Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

FAT Daddy Wheel Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008 | 06:41 PM
sfrisby6022
|
Advanced
Default FAT Daddy Wheel Fiasco

Having the Dealer put on a pair of Ride Wright Fat Daddy Wheels on an 08 Deluxe - It's been a fiasco....

I think they have spent 8 - 10 hours and 4 -5 attempts to get the rear wheel on .. to NO AVAIL
Even the front wheel was an issue until they spoke to Sam at Ride Wright.

They had the wrong pulley initially - which was my fault
Then they needed Pulley Spacers - we got these from Ride Wright..
Now it appears that the chrome tapered wheel spacers are causing a problem
Tomorrow they are going to try w/ the stock spacers - they seem confident that they can get this to work.. - if they don't - Ride Wright offered to cut spacers based on the requirements and have them
shipped over night.

Should I expect to have these types of issues w/ Aftermarket wheels ?
Should I expect that my dealer could measure and either machine their own spacers or at least provide specs to a machine shop to spacers built or cut ?

The bike has been on the lift for a week with all of this going on ... I guess they don't have a machine shop either...

Any feedback or experiences appreciated - They quoted me an estimated number of hours on this. and I hope they don't try to stick me.

Old 05-06-2008 | 07:20 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Default RE: FAT Daddy Wheel Fiasco

I would think the wheel manufacturer would have sorted all this out beforehand. If they are to recommend a wheel for a specific application, they should know all that is needed to make it work. This trial and error crap is a real pain for any shop-it is time consuming and it is tying up a $80/hr lift. I would not expect the dealer to be equipped to handle such things unless they have a full machine/fabrication shop and do this sort of thingevery day. If they supplied the wheels, it's on them. If you are the supplier, then that Bud's on you....Just Sayin'

Old 05-16-2008 | 06:24 PM
Dinger
Road Master

Hogpro installed my wheels. Purchased the complete package includingrotors, pulley & tires.No real issues and it took a couple of hours and I was on my way.

I would've yanked my bikefrom the dealer after8 hours of failed wheel installationand called someone else with more knowledge. The dealer should've had it all sorted out since they were doing the work.

I've got HD standardChrome spacers not tapered on my bike.

Old 05-16-2008 | 06:39 PM
sfrisby6022
|
Advanced

Well it turned out out OK.. they ended up billing my only 4 hours - however i have to say Ride Wright Wheels needs to include more specific fitment information w/ their product.
I do have to say Sam at Ride Wright - did step up to the plate to assist the dealer - & sent pulley spacers at no cost. I had provided them an incorrect pulley initially - and then went with the Ride Wright Radial Pulley - to get things back on track.

Your lucky you had Hogpro nearby.. they probably install tons of these wheels.. hence it's routine for them... Heck they probably can cut their own spacers.
I think part of the problem was the fact I have an 08 bike and their was an axle change in the rear.

The front wheel was not a problem. The dealer had problems w/ the HD Chrome tapered wheel spacers - ( note - only the chrome tapered available with the 08 Softail )
So I had to get back to my OEM non-chrome spacers in the rear and those still had to be grinded to get a fit. I can hardly even tell the difference.

Overall it looks good.. but I was surprised at how much effort it took.

Old 05-19-2008 | 09:36 AM
jbt
Tourer

Wow... Just, wow.

When I went from aftermarket billet wheels to aftermarket spokes (from Black Bike), I called BB, told them what I had (including aftermarket (Storz) fork w/ dual discs), they built the wheels, and I put 'em on myself in about an hour, with no guessing, no problems, nothing. I used the stock pulley from my billet wheel, and three new floating rotors from HD. This was the first time I'd ever removed wheels from a bike, too.

Sounds like you need to find a competent shop, or learn how to wrench on the thing at home.