Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

HD Rear Wheel Balancing Weights

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 11:53 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Rear Wheel Balancing Weights

On my stock rear Night Train wheel there is some small stick on weights…. I want to have the wheel polished out and have had several folks tell me to just get rid of the weight and not worry about it. What are your opinions / experiences with those stuck on rear wheel weights

Old 03-08-2005, 11:56 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: HD Rear Wheel Balancing Weights

I use them on my vette. I think they look better than the clip ons, they are inside the spokes of my wheel and tough to see. On the bike...I don't know. Some say they fly off, but I've never had a problem on the car. The best balance comes from the weights that are clipped on the sides...any good tire shop will tell you that.

Mac

Old 03-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Vegas FLTRI
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard of some folks glueing the weights inside the wheel. I personally did not balance my chrome wheels and have had the bike to 90mph with no effect. how much weight are you talking? if it is minimal you could just get rid of it, if it is alot I would think you would want to keep it. I always used weights on my spoke wheels and they never ran as balanced as my PM's without weight. go figure.

Old 03-09-2005, 05:23 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

It looks like one piece of chiclet gum and according to my HD dealer, they don't even balance that close and it must have come from the factory that way. I'll knock it off and take it up to various speeds and see what happens... If the weight came from the factory and the dealer installed this rear tire a couple thousand miles before I bought it, does that mean that by pure luck it needed the same weight in the same location? hmmm.... How's the weather out there? How about next week?
Dave

Old 03-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member

simple, polish your wheels and have them re-balanced.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:31 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Ironhead
simple, polish your wheels and have them re-balanced.
You know, that is what I thought[:@], but the HD guy went on and on that these stick on weights will not stay on if they polished as “no matter what the polisher does he will impregnate the surface of the aluminum with oils, silicone, waxes, etc.
I am going to give it a try anyway, no worries!!

Old 03-09-2005, 07:26 PM
igniter
Cruiser

I have found that on polished surfaces, if you clean the area you want to stick the weight, just clean it with rubbing alcohol or acetone then stick it on without touching the surface with your fingers. The weight should stick fine and centrifugal force should help keep it on the wheel. I dont think you will have any trouble.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I always use carb cleaner to remove both the old residue from the weights that have been removed, and to clean the wheel to place on the new weights.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:52 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Igniter & Sinecrazy, thanks for the good ideas... I will give acetone / carb cleaner a try.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:40 AM
Vegas FLTRI
Tourer

it has been beautiful all week, we had a lot of rain the last couple of weeks but it will hit 78-80 this weekend. the forcast is for a small chance of showers on tuesday but the rest of the week looks good upper 60's low 70's
ORIGINAL: TxMoores

It looks like one piece of chiclet gum and according to my HD dealer, they don't even balance that close and it must have come from the factory that way. I'll knock it off and take it up to various speeds and see what happens... If the weight came from the factory and the dealer installed this rear tire a couple thousand miles before I bought it, does that mean that by pure luck it needed the same weight in the same location? hmmm.... How's the weather out there? How about next week?
Dave