Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Wife hit deer HD Dealer says frame bent.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008 | 09:34 PM
gdaustin
|
Advanced
Default Wife hit deer HD Dealer says frame bent.

My wife hit a deer on April 4th. Luckily she did not go down.The rear of the deer glanced off the front fender and hit the enigine guard. The engine guard bent back and there was some other damage. When the engine guard bent it also bent the welded bracket that it attaches to on the frame. The HD dealership says it is part of the frame and the MoCo will not let any modifications be performded on the frame. The insurance company says it is a non structural bracket added to the frame to mount the engine guard only. Problem is Dealership will not do anything until insurance company writes a check. Insurance says it will not authorize replacement frame unless MoCo says this piece is actually part of frame and they do not allow modifications. Been a week with no give by either. Since the weather is beautiful here now I would like to get this resolved so they can at least order the parts. Any advice or maybe a number to HD to find out about the frame to help get this going? Thanks.

Old 04-13-2008 | 09:39 PM
dynaglider
Tourer
Default RE: Wife hit deer HD Dealer says frame bent.

Congratulations to your wife on staying up thru the collision. Sounds like she is OK. The bike will get fixed. Be happy.

Old 04-14-2008 | 08:12 AM
lecomte38
Tourer

Get out of the middle. Call your insurance co and tell them where the bike is and to FIX IT!

Old 04-14-2008 | 08:57 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

give me a call I I can point you in the right direction. You live too far from me for me to help you out. You are the second person today

Old 04-14-2008 | 12:32 PM
gunnar
Cruiser
Veteran: Navy

At the end of the day, it is nothing more than bent metal that can be fixed or replaced. You cant always fix your loved one and certainly can't replace them. Glad your wife made it through ok.

Old 04-14-2008 | 12:44 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

A great big "Atta Girl !!!" to your Mrs. for keeping the bike up in that situation. A lot of riders male or female would have panicked with much less desirable results.

Sounds like you need the name and number to the MoCo AreaRep for your neck of the woods.

Now as for that damn deer. Probably uninsured and crossing the road inan unmarked area probably highfrom munching some loco weed.

When will the government do whatAmerica wants and put up some damn fences. Don't get me started on illegal game animals roaming our countryside....

Primo
P.S. Good luck for a speedy resolution so she can get back on the road.

Old 04-14-2008 | 02:24 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

Your story is common. I have a buddy that buys totaled Harleys for pennies on the dollar, fixes them and sells them. Nearly every bike he gets is rideable. If the frame tab is broken, they get totaled, at least thru the companies he deals with. Progressive will total a bike it is involved in a fatality. He has gotten bikes from low speed crashes where the rider whacked his head on something and died. The bikes had to have little more done to them other than wash the dirt off to be rideable.

Old 04-14-2008 | 04:42 PM
gdaustin
|
Advanced

Yes the wife was a bit nervous after it happened but I think because she never saw it till it was to late she did not do anything rash to avoid it. It was at night and I was in front of her. Never saw even the slightest waiver in her headlights. She realizes she was lucky she did not go down as we were going around 55 MPH. As far as the insurance and fixing the bike. The insurance right now is refusing to fix the frame until the MoCo sends them their official policy. I was hoping someone out here actually worked at a HD Dealership and could maybe fax the policy or service bulletin to me. It seams neither side cares what the other needs to get this fixed. Of course I have to deal with the wife and her wanting her bike to ride. I guess I am lucky she still wants to ride tho .

Old 04-14-2008 | 05:01 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Phil, was riding trying to make the PO in time to mail return. call me as I tried calling you back.

Old 04-15-2008 | 05:02 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

https://www.hdforums.com/m_3207139/m...tm.htm#3207399 k?

Quick Reply: Wife hit deer HD Dealer says frame bent.