Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Wife hit deer HD Dealer says frame bent.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008 | 08:05 PM
WIEVORIDER
Intermediate
Default RE: Wife hit deer HD Dealer says frame bent.

Glad to hear the O'lady is safe and good to go again.
I work as a estimator for one of the largest, if not the largest insurer in the U.S. and I totalled a customers 1200 sportster for the exact same damage last summer. The dealer told me the exact same thing. I didn't question it due to theory of pending future liability should the frame fail, and be proved the repair was the cause of failure. If another crash was proved to be caused by the repair failure, the liability would be on the individuals that insisted on the repair.
I would throw this at the insurer carrier. The factory finish on a HD frame is powdercoat. In order to properly refinish the frame after a repair, the frame will have to be removed, stripped, and re-powdercoated. That will pretty much eat up the cost effective theory of repair considering the replacement frame i alreadyblack from the MoCo. Good Luck.

Old 04-17-2008 | 08:57 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Phil, What happened with the insurance agt? Do your best, post pictures like you said you were (by phone) going to do for all to see. Been too quiet around here anyhow. Show all HDF members what your carrier calls acceptable! A crushed motormount! GIVE ME A BREAK!!! Good Luck.

Old 04-17-2008 | 09:02 PM
clutchglass
Road Master

1st off....thank God your not settling up with an undertaker and a life insurance company. 2ndly I hope it all works out (let us know) and tell the insurance company we all want to know. What insurance company is it anyway?
-clutch-

[IMG]local://upfiles/10668/56F05E93012E4CE683ADA1E4E2470867.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-18-2008 | 09:32 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Tell your insurance guy to:"Buy mea new frame or total it. Take your pick"

Old 04-19-2008 | 12:34 AM
Hogrydr
Intermediate

It's a common practice these days for bikes to be totalled due to a bent frame tab. I have a friend who disposed of bikes for insurance companies and we're amazed at the number of bikes that get totalled because of the frame tab and very little other damage. If I were in your situation, I'd be calling the insurance company on a daily basis - keep asking to talk to the next level up. Strongly suggest they provide you with a rental bike as their foot-dragging is resulting in a loss of use. Your policy should state somewhere that claims will be handled in a timely manner. Time to be a bit of a jerk and get somebody's attention.

Good luck.