Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

02 WG Pinch Bolt Question (Windshield Mounting)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Aroberts
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 WG Pinch Bolt Question (Windshield Mounting)

I am trying to mount my detachable windshield I bought off of Craigslist. The mounting hardware I recieved came with 2 clamps and some misc parts which I am certain requires me to take the 2 pinch bolts(the pinch bolts that on the outside of each fork right below the slider tube cap) out, add the parts I need installed and place the bolt back in. My problem is I don't have a tool that will allow me to remove the pinch bolt. It looks to me like its a HUGE phillips and so big it must be a special Harley tool. Can someone please shed some light on what exactly this bolt is(type & size) and also if I should be mounting anything to that screw. I am also curious how long that bolt is and what its purpose is.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2008, 03:57 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: 02 WG Pinch Bolt Question (Windshield Mounting)

That should be a TORX bolt. Mine are #45 on my FXDL. So you will need a set of torx bits to loosen/tighten them. (Searshas them)Please note that they are a "critical fastener" on your motorcycle as they hold the fork tubes in place and you don't want them coming loose. Not sure how long they are. BUT that fastener has a torque specification for tightening (mine is 30ft./lbs)that needs to be followed and I recommend you use blue loctite on them as well.

You might consider getting yourself a service manual for your bike if you plan to do any real work on it.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Aroberts
Tourer

Its not a torx so I am guessing its not the original bolt. I attached a picture of the bolt. I do have a manual but its very vague when it comes to anything about that bolt or I just can't find it. I am guessing if its as critical of a bolt as you say, I shouldn't be mounting any accessories to it and reinstalling the bolt. If I add the mouting hardware I need, reinstall the bolt at 30ft./lbs(or what my manual says) will it matter, is that bolts lenght critical in what it achives?

Old 03-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Aroberts
Tourer

I discovered something in my manaul and wanted to clarify what Pinch Bolt it is. There are Pinch bolts on the "Stem & Bracket" those are NOT the Pinch Bolts I am talking about. I am talking about the Pinch Bolts on the "Upper Bracket". The picture should help clarify as well.

Knowing that, what is the function of this bolt? Is it critical, I can't find crao in the manual for this Pinch Bolt.

Thanks, I appreciate your help

Old 03-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Aroberts
Tourer

The bolt in question is made for mounting accessories. I have no idea why the manual likes to call them "Pinch Bolts". I guess the only think to keep in mind is not to put in a super long screw which could cause some damage.