Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Front/Rear Brake Simultaneous Activation

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Arnie Guitar
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front/Rear Brake Simultaneous Activation

I hurt my back at work, and have some pretty good arthritis coming on in my legs.
I've lost alot of the range of motion in my legs, and it's difficult to apply the rear brake and to shift.
I've pretty much got the shifting figured out with the installation of either a hand shifter, or one of these electric shifting kits I've seen.
What bothers me the most is relying mostly on my front brake to stop, I can apply the rear brake, but it's not easy.
So...I remember reading years ago about a bike (Guzzi?) that had a brake system that when you applied the handlebar brake lever, both the front and rear brake caliper were activated...or was it when you applied the foot lever, the rear caliper and one of the front calipers was activated...I forget.
What I'm getting at is that I don't ride as much because I don't feel safe, and I think if I could solve this shifting and brake problem, I'd ride more.
Is there a brake kit to do what I want, that is when I apply the front brake lever, both the front and rear brake caliper would be activated?
I kinda doubt it, so could I make something? I'm a retired machinist...could I tap off of the front brake line and run it to the rear caliper?
Would the rubber brake line needed to go from a turning front fork to a fixed frame fatigue too fast to be safe?

I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud...[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 03-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Front/Rear Brake Simultaneous Activation

What you are talking about is a proportioning valve system.

It regulates hydraulic pressure at a preset ratio - in the case of 'front to back' you would most likely want it set-up about 60/40 or 70/30, the front brake getting more of the load.

Without knowing what kind of bike you have, the system would (in theory) work very well on a scoot with a single disk up front - IF you changed over to a FLH (touring bike) front master cylinder - as they are designed to move more brake fluid.

Exile Cycles makes a proportioning brake set-up - but I believe it's configured to operate with the foot brake...which wouldn't help you. But it does indicate that the system CAN work.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:02 AM
Arnie Guitar
3rd Gear

Thanks for your reply.
I have a '78 FLH and a '94 Springer softail.
I'm going to be letting on of them go now that I'm retired.
I like the looks of the FLH more, but she does require a little more care and feeding than the Springer.
Also, the Springer is easier for me to get on and off of...but she just doesn't have the character of the Dresser.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:57 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior

No Problem Arnie,

I sent you a PM - By the way.

---

I looked-up the 1978 FLH and, with it being a single rotor front brake, I would imagine it would be a fairly simple process to to get the braking system you are wanting. The Springer you refer to would be the same.

Take a look at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140215094535

It's a Proportioning valve for auto brakes, but (I think) it would work for your application also - you would just need a mounting location/bracket, and some custom brake lines.

Also - I checked-out your Myspace page - pretty cool stuff brother.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:52 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Tony Carlini did his "Black Bart" like that to eliminate the hand brake lever in the early 70's. It worked good but not perfect. it was 60/40. I believe one of those newer metric bikes have a single control braking system but with a hand brake over-ride. I do not know much about metrics but it is a place to start.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Arnie Guitar
3rd Gear

Well, I did some more hunting on the internet, and found some forums for disabled bikers.
There is a "thumb brake" system that goes on the right handle bar, but I'm not so sure I like what I see.
Obviously, it's operated with your thumb...but I think that's just too much stuff on the right bar, especially with the throttle being there...
I guess you'd be squeezing the hand lever for the front while pushing with your thumb for the rear...what happens if you move your hand and advance the throttle?

Any who, one guy just put a longer banjo bolt on the master cylinder and ran two lines off of it. That's good, but I think you have regulate how much pressure each caliper gets.

I like the idea of running one line to a proportioning valve mounted somewhere very secure, and then running one line to each caliper, that sounds like the best to me.

We'll see, I gotta do some more hunting.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Arnie Guitar
3rd Gear

One more thing, the guy that ran a custom longer banjo bolt and two lines had a rear caliper with two input's, he said it was a Honda part. He said that he can activate that caliper with either the front brake lever, or the foot brake...kinda cool, but that wood require a two piston caliper with the cylinders not connected.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Arnie Guitar

One more thing, the guy that ran a custom longer banjo bolt and two lines had a rear caliper with two input's, he said it was a Honda part. He said that he can activate that caliper with either the front brake lever, or the foot brake...kinda cool, but that wood require a two piston caliper with the cylinders not connected.

I was thinking about this overnight and, since you mentioned that you are going with a hand shift - or air/electronic shifter - What are the chances of getting a HydraulicClutch hand control set-up and using that for your rear brake? Right hand front/Left hand rear. That would be a REALLY inexpensive option, and should be fairly simple to set-up as you are using products that don't really require any modification (aside from a longer rear brake cable).

In theory you could install the hydraulic clutch master cylinder, run a brake line from it to the stock rear master cylinder - then use the 'long banjo bolt' set up... Ultimately being able to use your hand brake, or the foot pedal for the rear. Like I said - that's theory, but no special parts (at all) would be required, and you would have your brake set-up as you need it.