Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Can I Install a Fairing on a Softail Standard?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008 | 04:28 PM
ericksonjse
|
Stage III
Default Can I Install a Fairing on a Softail Standard?

Please don't just say, go buy a bagger.

Is there a way to get a decent (preferably quick release) fairing for a softail standard? and not one of those little racer ones. I have a 2005 and I would like to add a fairing for the long trips to get some decent music and wind protection.

Any suggestions?

J

[IMG]local://upfiles/53509/A511B7CB05B749B290C32CE5B7E3F386.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-18-2008 | 04:30 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Can I Install a Fairing on a Softail Standard?

Welcome to the site, and yes you can.
Lots of threads about just what you speak of.
Just have to look a little bit.

BTW; I hope that you never fall backwards off your bike

Is that your version of a "rocker" , or is that a real "rocker" with a fringe seat, and is that the bike that you want the fairing for?
If so, you might just be the first one with that set up.
A rocker with a bat wing fariing.
Just think of it?

Old 02-18-2008 | 06:39 PM
ericksonjse
|
Stage III

Search seems broken, can't get anything "0 results"

J

Old 02-18-2008 | 09:42 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

I have seen that particualr thread on here before, but here is what I found on google if that's any help. I know that dragonfly was one that was being talked about. In fact, I have seen standard softails set up that looked like small FL's. No kiddin'.. Good luck, and again welcome to the site. You can learn some good stuff here.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&&q=softail+fairing

Old 02-19-2008 | 12:07 AM
ericksonjse
|
Stage III

From what I could get from those sites - They are for FL softails, such as Deluxe and Heritage. Haven't been able to find an easy solutions for an FX model.

As for the bike pictured - its a little different than pictured (again - keep adding to it) I added the spikes last year to the fender (used to have an "old school" looking parascope tail light), Moved the tail light to the axel mounted license place holder, the fender was a custom job. The bike was orignally built (more like massaged) by American Thunder (Savage, MN) for a book called "How to Hop Up and Customize your Softail HD" - attached book cover photo. Since then I haved changed the pipes, grips, pegs, Derby cover, exhause (Big Guns slashers), and added a power commander.

Now I am adding some really cool fringed with silver studs leather bags (just the right size). And if I can find a decent solution for a fairing, I will cover that in leather and maybe add some chome studs to it for detail - in my head it balances out with the bags added, but it will look petite since its already lowered. The seat was custom made. I do want it to be quick release, so that I can remove bags and fairing if I want.

Old 02-19-2008 | 06:58 AM
Buddha4
Road Warrior

Agreed about those fairings being only for the FL. Hoppe industries is right down the road from me and I stopped in. The biggest issue is the mounting point. The FL tripple tree allows for a bolt to attach to it you also have agap due to the headlight size. If you were to take it off the FXST might look weird witht a 7" headlight.

Old 06-03-2008 | 10:22 PM
txhypnotist
Stage I

Corbin make's a faring for the softail Standard, the base cost is high, that's why you don't see many on the roads.

Here's the link to take a look. http://www.corbin.com/harley/softail/hdst6fair.shtml

Old 06-04-2008 | 02:46 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

I took a King of the Road (70's Shovel) batwing than drilled & taped into the triple trees (drop forks) for mounting points. Used washers but than machined "notched" backing spacers. worked well until I sold the bike . I did this on a brand new 1985 STSC in 1984. put 87K mi w/no problems

Old 07-01-2013 | 05:35 AM
nsanerod
Advanced