Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

'06 Low Rider Front End Shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:51 AM
Bottomend
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Low Rider Front End Shimmy

The bike was wrecked, not bad, just cosmetic. Changed to drag bars, if that could matter. I'm thinking the wheel needs to be trued, any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Bottomend
Banned
Default RE: '06 Low Rider Front End Shimmy

Changed the description of the problem to shimmy, some thought wobble wasn't accurate!

Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As the wobble speeds up it turns into a shimmyIn all cases of either, the starting point is the tire or wheel or where the center of pressure is on it, as in alignment. Forks true with the frame? Steering head bearings adjusted correctly act as a damper and should be checked to rule it out. Wheel out of balance can cause it also.
Ron

Old 01-30-2008, 06:26 AM
Bottomend
Banned

ORIGINAL: rbabos

As the wobble speeds up it turns into a shimmyIn all cases of either, the starting point is the tire or wheel or where the center of pressure is on it, as in alignment. Forks true with the frame? Steering head bearings adjusted correctly act as a damper and should be checked to rule it out. Wheel out of balance can cause it also.
Ron
Forks true with the frame...How do I check that?

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:05 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are expensive tools for that but all you need is a quick check to varify how it is and pursue it later if you find something really gross. Level the lower frame rails across. Tape or clamp a piece of wood to the front of the down tubes with a mark that represents an exactcenter point between these tubes. From the bottom of the lowers (shocks) find a common point on each to measure from and make both the same distance to the downtube mark. Use a level on the wheel to see how it compares to the bottom of the bike that you leveled earlier. Even though the wheel may not be centered between the forks (by design) it should be 90 degrees vertical to the frame bottom. Remember two things, this is a harley and nothing in this world is perfect so it may not end up being exactly 90 degrees. I'm guessing a 1/4" difference between top and bottom of wheelmay still be fine, but at least you have a figure that you can give to a tech and find out what you can get away with. Everything has a tolerance, even Nasa.Plumb bobs will work also but too much bs, so the above crude but effective should give the info you need.
Ron

Old 01-31-2008, 06:04 AM
Bottomend
Banned

I will try that. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again.