Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Direct experience with Progressive fork springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:14 AM
FidgetStone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct experience with Progressive fork springs?

Hey Folks,
I recently purchased a 2006 Low Rider with 8,500 miles on it which I dearly love. Now that I have about 800 or 900 of my own miles on it, I am convinced that the front forks are too soft for me. They dive pretty bad under heavy braking and they compress quite a bit under the weight of the bike and rider (196 lbs) even at a stand-still.

I don't think that they are dangerous but they are certainly not confidence inspiring in the turns.

The idea of progressive spings sounds appealing to me. Anyone with direct experience with the progressive springs please post your before and after impression.

Thanks . . .

Old 01-09-2008, 12:17 AM
metal_mike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Direct experience with Progressive fork springs?

love 'em... night and day difference!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:45 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

The stock springs in your bike are a progressivly wound spring. That's a good thing. Soft on the little bumps, and firm on the big ones. Just the way it should be.

I don't have front springs from Progressive Suspension on my bike, so I can't relate actual experiance.

But, if you want to make a significant improvement in ride quality and performance, drop in a couple Gold Valves fromRace Tech. Probably the single most significant improvemet you can make to the suspension of any Dyna. No nose dive with braking. No clunking. And no rocking horse action with gear changes. Huge improvement.

Your front forks are the same as a V-Rod, so just order parts for that. I went for the whole Caddies kit. But after comparing springs, I would recommend just the valves. I think the results would be pretty close to the same, and a bit cheaper.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:48 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

i think better springs are pol a good investment. when i get the time i'll do that but in the meanwhile i went with screamin eagle fork oil ( a little heavier than stock) and added a bit more oil than stockand that has reduced the diving...

Old 01-10-2008, 05:15 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 442 Likes on 247 Posts

If you buy the Race Tech, stick with linear wound springs, ask they why. We never use progressively wound springs.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:45 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FastHarley,
I know your speciality is FLs so you may not know specifics about the dyna family but humor me if you will:
I called the guys at Race Tech about the caddies kit for my '06 Street Bob, it has the 49mm fork tubes, and he didn't have a clue what to recommend. He played it off that they were so new they didn't have a kit for them yet. I see someone has said the V-rod front end is the same but I thought it was an inverted set up?
With several people recommending the gold valves and you specifically telling us to stay away from the progressively wound springs, what would you ask these fellas at Race Tech to get to the cure for the crappy stock front suspension Harley puts out there for us to deal with on our own?
Can you explain the basic difference in a "cartridge system", "cartridge emulators" and "damping rod" suspensions for us not up to speed with the various suspension types?

Thanks

Old 01-10-2008, 12:10 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Q: I called the guys at Race Tech about the caddies kit for my '06 Street Bob, it has the 49mm fork tubes, and he didn't have a clue what to recommend. He played it off that they were so new they didn't have a kit for them yet.
*Talk to someone there who knows something. Call back. You will find the same help problem at the parts counter of any Harley Davidson. Not so 30 or so years ago before HD went public and has a stock ticker on their front page, it is the same all over. The 49mm are not new, only the guy you were talking to. I am doing one right now for one of our HD Forum members from Italy. He does not post much however

Q: I see someone has said the V-rod front end is the same but I thought it was an inverted set up?
* No, no inverted,. Buell. The rate may not be the same for V-Rod & your bike.
Q: With several people recommending the gold valves and you specifically telling us to stay away from the progressively wound springs, what would you ask these fellas at Race Tech to get to the cure for the crappy stock front suspension Harley puts out there for us to deal with on our own?
* If the rep you were talking to did not know the difference, hang up and call again. Progressively wound springs are not a company but a name of a way to make a spring. We wish @GMD Ft. Lauderdale) to know what is going to happen during rebound/compression when riding and surprises are not a good thing as progressively wound (not the company) give you a variable rate during travel. If help is needed & you can not find it, call me toll free or e-mail me at my site.

Can you explain the basic difference in a "cartridge system", "cartridge emulators" and "damping rod" suspensions for us not up to speed with the various suspension types?
* I will have to answer this in a few hours as I have got to get back to work. This will take some time to compose & this is the end of lunch hour. See you tonight.

PS, my Dyna a while ago. Rode it today @ 6:30 am to the shop.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/0C4FF06A868D46BCAC8CF72C53188F7D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-10-2008, 09:16 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

A few hours later and maybe a worthy answer to your question.

Your question
* I will have to answer this in a few hours as I have got to get back to work. This will take some time to compose & this is the end of lunch hour. See you tonight.

Started this @ 9:47pm
A quick response to a much deeper question. I will try not to become too boring.

"damping rod"
This system was revolutionary in 1947 when it was invented. Not too much changed since them. The dampening rod is that conical flute thing in the spring. Holes on the side for compression & one on the top to replace the oil. See illustration on bottom titled susp-diag1-md.jpg (Over Simplified Like HD). This is a stock like dampening rod system.

cartridge emulators emulate a cartridge but in no way are they anywhere close to functioning as well as a cartridge system. Since you called Race Tech, you can see for yourself what they do. The Gold Valve Cartridge Emulator. Emulators make damping rod forks perform something like a cartridge fork. Emulators are tunable valves that sit on top of the damping rods and are held in place with the main springs. This makes them tunable for rider preferences. For best results, have them installed by a trusted suspension racetuner with a proven track record. see atachment Gold Emulators.jpg

Again, it the answers given to you are not satisfactory @ Race Tech, call me toll free, you got the #.

cartridge system. See the illustration titled susp-diag2-md.jpg (Over Simplified) but with the cartridge noted.

If more clarification is needed, you may go to my website [HERE] and review the cartridge system we make for your bike. They are expensive but will make your forks work the best they can. For a better and less expensive system conceder an inverted fork.

I hope I have answered your questions. We do sell and/or install Race Tech emulators & springs at the same price as Race Tech. We are a factory authorized service center for Öhlins, Penske, Marzocchi, and many other company’s.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/80FB9DA058CF4E76A6D266F865AC10D1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/10D7F0B14058487F9CB4E01BC2B6C9D0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/ABC01EB35B82472C9B753EFBBA0BC119.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-12-2008, 11:04 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

>> I called the guys at Race Tech about the caddies kit for my '06 Street Bob, it has the 49mm fork tubes, and he didn't have a clue what to recommend. <<

I used PN 0416-0013. That's the complete Caddies kit. Although, in retrospect, it probably would have been just as good to use the valves and stock springs. I got the kit from Zanotti's for $260.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:47 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

A few hours later and maybe a worthy answer to your question.

Your question

Started this @ 9:47pm
A quick response to a much deeper question. I will try not to become too boring.

"damping rod"
This system was revolutionary in 1947 when it was invented. Not too much changed since them. The dampening rod is that conical flute thing in the spring. Holes on the side for compression & one on the top to replace the oil. See illustration on bottom titled susp-diag1-md.jpg (Over Simplified Like HD). This is a stock like dampening rod system.

cartridge emulators emulate a cartridge but in no way are they anywhere close to functioning as well as a cartridge system. Since you called Race Tech, you can see for yourself what they do. The Gold Valve Cartridge Emulator. Emulators make damping rod forks perform something like a cartridge fork. Emulators are tunable valves that sit on top of the damping rods and are held in place with the main springs. This makes them tunable for rider preferences. For best results, have them installed by a trusted suspension racetuner with a proven track record. see atachment Gold Emulators.jpg

Again, it the answers given to you are not satisfactory @ Race Tech, call me toll free, you got the #.

cartridge system. See the illustration titled susp-diag2-md.jpg (Over Simplified) but with the cartridge noted.

If more clarification is needed, you may go to my website [HERE] and review the cartridge system we make for your bike. They are expensive but will make your forks work the best they can. For a better and less expensive system conceder an inverted fork.

I hope I have answered your questions. We do sell and/or install Race Tech emulators & springs at the same price as Race Tech. We are a factory authorized service center for Öhlins, Penske, Marzocchi, and many other company’s.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/80FB9DA058CF4E76A6D266F865AC10D1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/10D7F0B14058487F9CB4E01BC2B6C9D0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/ABC01EB35B82472C9B753EFBBA0BC119.jpg[/IMG]
Howard,
I just wanted to say "Thank You" for your time and effort to answer my questions. Along with your explanation, those graphics really helped. I would have said so days ago but had computer problems and lost internet access until I could get a day off to get things straightened out.

Quick Reply: Direct experience with Progressive fork springs?