Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Dyna Frame Stretch

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 02:48 AM
g_amey
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Frame Stretch

I have a 1996 Dyna FXD that I'm considering having a frame stretch done on. I'm going for the "long low" look (not the chopper thing.) Anyway, was considering either a frame stretch and wide rear tire or a frame replacement. Due to title, etc I'm leaning toward the frame stretch.

I want to keep this thing relatively tame (I tour/every day ride this bike) so am considering a 3 inch backbone stretch (plus a 200 rear tire.) Any thoughts or advice on this?

Also, any idea on how to determine if someones qualified to do this work, what tools should the have (do they need an HD jig?) any common problems/gotchyas? any idea whtat the frame work should cost?

Thanks for any help

Old 01-20-2006, 09:04 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Dyna Frame Stretch

Couple of things to keep in mind.....

You will need to find a source for a special length drive belt.

The stretch you want can be achieved through the rear swingarm, and won't require touching the frame. Using the shocks you have, it will change the rear shock angle, and lower the bike. You'll have to consider lowering the front end through springs or shorter tubes to get her back to level.

Easy way to do it, is to get a spare swingaxle, do the "surgery", and then swap it on with the new belt and brake lines. Then work on the front fork tubes.

This has been done ALOT, via www.chopperunderground.com, on jap bikes to build cheap customs!

joe

Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Iowa bike builder
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you lengthen the swing arm you will also have to move the fender . You have a couple of choices, either make longer struts or cut the frame in front of shock mounts and lengthen it . I've done a few and it's not for the fant of heart....