Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Changing handlebars...how difficult is it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 12:11 PM
rdking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing handlebars...how difficult is it?

Hi,

I bought some Wild 1 Chubby WO508's for my new ('05) Road King Classic along with the Harley chrome switch housings and switches. I'm not a mechanic but I can turn wrenches and do some basic maintainence stuff. Is this something a novice should tackle?[&:]

Old 02-20-2005, 01:26 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: Changing handlebars...how difficult is it?

RDking,

The handle bars are pretty easy if there is no need to change any cables or brake lines. I would get a shop manual, as it explains how to get to the handle bar clamp. I think switch housings and switchs require some rewiring, which I would be reluctant to do. I think electricity is magic, so I don't mess with it.

Regards,

Bill

Old 02-20-2005, 01:29 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

RdKing,

I just ordered Wild 1 chubby's for my ride. They are on back order so I'm still waiting[:@]

Anyway, I pulled out my manual, and I'm more than comfortable tackling it, I'm on an EG, so I have a little more to do with the fairing, etc. I think you can handle it, given your personal description, but never hurts to have the manual. It give all the torque settings etc. I'm not sure how the internal wiring part is going to work, but I'm assuming it will be obvious when I see it. I'm sure I'll have to breka the wires and resolder...hopefully there will be some directions that come with the bars. I say go for it.

Mac

Old 02-20-2005, 02:00 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Im getting wild1 509s on my FLHRS, but Im having the dealer install them so they'll be under warranty.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed 16" ape hangers on my RK, with all wires ran internally. Also braided cables were installed. Handlebar swap is not a hard job, but is involved. I had to extend all the wires 12", which I soldered, and used heat shrink. You want to stagger those connections so you dont have a large bundle in one place. I had to remove all the exhaust as so to remove the clutch cover to replace the cable. There is a thread on handlebar removal or swapping, though I dont remember the thread title or location, maybe someone else may remember or you could search for it. If you decide to tackle the job and have a question feel free to ask.

http://www.harleydavidsonforums.com/m_8672/tm.htm

Old 02-22-2005, 02:25 AM
hawk
Road Master

Like every said,The bars are not hard to do but the cables and wiring could be a bit hairy.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:01 AM
investorsc
Road Master

....and one of the key points is to shrink wrap the connections. Electrical tape is just to bulky in this application!

BRUCE

Old 02-22-2005, 09:49 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

And IMHO, shrink rap be more betterer.

Mac

Old 02-22-2005, 11:07 PM
rdking
Tourer

"And IMHO, shrink rap be more betterer."

I think you mean more gooder.

Miss Crump

Old 02-23-2005, 05:55 PM
augason
Advanced

On my 03 Fat Boy I changed out to a fat lower profile bar with the wires tucked away for a clean look. The wires were the time
issue. Also it takes some guts to start cutting and soldering if you have not done it before. BE CAREFUL with the front break
switch. You need to put a small cardboard spacer between the front brake lever and the housing or you will brake the switch
and you brake lights wont work right. So before you take the housing apart, grab the lever and apply the front brake, put a piece of cardboard at the base of the lever so it wont return all the way. Do the swap and reinstall, grab the lever again and pull out the spacer and you are home free. I dont understand the mechanics behind why the part will brake but it will!
The look of the hidden wires is worth the extra time and good luck. " Augie "

Quick Reply: Changing handlebars...how difficult is it?