Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

ABS BRAKES ARE THERE ANY CONS

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Aslan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS BRAKES ARE THERE ANY CONS

I have heard nothing but good things about the new ABS Brakes on the 08 bikes.
Are there any cons oris it all good news.
Just wondering.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:48 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts
Default RE: ABS BRAKES ARE THERE ANY CONS

Maybe the price. Maybe to some it isnt worth it.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:29 PM
rtb
Intermediate

I've read a couple places that bleeding the brakes has to be done at the dealer with the Digital Tech. This would be a disadvantage if you do you own maintenance.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:58 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are no cons to something that is there to give you more control during panic stop conditions. like rtb said you may need to activate the solnoids in the abs controller when bleeding but i honestly think it's worth the money to have them on the bike.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only things I can think of is that (1)they might take some getting used to. I know braking a cage with ABSon ice/snow is a lot different than with regular brakes. (2) Trusting a computerized system to do your reacting and thinking for you might be a questionable concept.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:30 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, if the ABS comes into play it means the rider/driver has already made a mistake in planning or assesing the situation. ABS does give a second line of defence, it dosent replace good judement. The only downside is its not fitted as standard to all vehicles.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:50 AM
Romero01
Stage IV

I've been riding for about 25+ years. Almost bought an 08 just for the ABS feature. About one month into evaluation discovered that dealers are only ordering about 1/3 of new bikes with feature. Problem, if you've ever experienced it is this--- if you've ever had to lay the bike down before a collision with a cage ( I've done it twice) you can not- I repeat --you can not lock and rear brake and lay the bike down on its side. After a long period of consideration, and even though I pull a trailer on long trips ( over 2m miles) I'll never have one. As I said, its not for all and several dealers ( off the record) will tell you this same negative. Good luck, ride safe!

Old 02-02-2008, 08:59 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 475 Likes on 277 Posts

Will the ABS hold the front wheel if I'm doing a burnout/holeshot?? Just curious.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/32069/B20571CED1E94B96958B752ACA524A17.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-02-2008, 09:37 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Romero01

I've been riding for about 25+ years. Almost bought an 08 just for the ABS feature. About one month into evaluation discovered that dealers are only ordering about 1/3 of new bikes with feature. Problem, if you've ever experienced it is this--- if you've ever had to lay the bike down before a collision with a cage ( I've done it twice) you can not- I repeat --you can not lock and rear brake and lay the bike down on its side. After a long period of consideration, and even though I pull a trailer on long trips ( over 2m miles) I'll never have one. As I said, its not for all and several dealers ( off the record) will tell you this same negative. Good luck, ride safe!
How exactly do you "lay a bike down", while pulling a trailer?? ABS or not, that'd be some feat of riding skill!!

Old 02-02-2008, 01:22 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

ORIGINAL: Romero01

never had to lay a bike downbefore a coliiision with a car. i usually just use my front brake and stop before the collision...

Quick Reply: ABS BRAKES ARE THERE ANY CONS